How do you get a long with your mother in law?

that is my question

meliscool72

Asked by meliscool72 at 2:20 PM on May. 19, 2013 in Relationships

• I got along with HER fine. She didn't get along with ME, and not even to my face but rather behind my back. DH didn't tolerate it. He stopped seeing her.

She died last September, alone.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:26 PM on May. 19, 2013

• that is my question

Obviously. I have two and I get along with them just fine. I don't get to see them as often as I'd like because they are both a good day's drive away (in opposite directions).
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 2:28 PM on May. 19, 2013

• We get along very well. She's one of the sweetest people I know and I was amazed at how quickly she accepted me and my 3 kids from my first marriage.

Answer by missanc at 2:34 PM on May. 19, 2013

• I actually get along great with my ex MIL. We still get together occasionally and I call and check on her often. She rocks.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 2:34 PM on May. 19, 2013

• She lives two states away, that is how we get along!
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 4:42 PM on May. 19, 2013

• I don't have a MIL at the moment.....my ex MIL and I got along sometimes. At first she was all "you're not good enough for my son", then she accepted me, then there were times we got along great and other times I wished she lived FAR, FAR away. I can count on my 1 hand how many times we have spoken since her son left me.

My SO's parents live in a different state. I'm looking forward to having a MIL in a different state. Her and I currently get along just fine. She hasn't once said or implied I'm not good enough for her son. She even sent me a birthday card this year. I only got 2 cards: 1 from her and 1 from my grandfather.

Kristi, I'm glad you get along with both of your MIL's. But I feel sorry that you have 2.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 5:48 PM on May. 19, 2013

• We got along just fine. Tell she passed away.

Answer by louise2 at 6:40 PM on May. 19, 2013

• I love my MIL. She's great to me and to my kids, even though they are her "step grandkids" (I had two kids before I was married to her son). My kids call her Grammy even though they aren't genetically related to her. She spoils them like she does her other grandchildren.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 8:15 PM on May. 19, 2013

• Better now than when we first met. Hubby had to step in and say something. That opened a line of communication. Though she still does stuff that drives me crazy. I love her anyway.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:18 PM on May. 19, 2013

• We get along wonderfully. I really hit the jackpot with my in-laws (mother, brother, and sister). My MIL has been so supportive of us and helped us out in so many ways. I live on the East coast and my whole family lives on the West coast and I miss them so much, my MIL understands how tough it can be for me. She really is a friend to me, someone I can go to when I'm having a rough day. When I was suddenly and without a shred of warning fired from my job she was one of the first people I called. She's a blessing.
    LadybugTash

Answer by LadybugTash at 9:57 PM on May. 19, 2013