Those who are hard christians, what do you think about this?

1 corinthians 34

34 Women[f] should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the law says. 35 If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church.[g]

so this means that if you speak in a church you are disgracing the church.

meliscool72

Asked by meliscool72 at 3:04 PM on May. 19, 2013 in Religious Debate

• Please do not try to summon the beast
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 3:12 PM on May. 19, 2013

• I am curious because this is the first time I have seen this scripture and well the beast is already summoned on this site lol
    meliscool72

Comment by meliscool72 (original poster) at 3:15 PM on May. 19, 2013

• Another example of translation by MEN.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 3:24 PM on May. 19, 2013

• I thought it said hard criminals!!

(closes door and backs out quietly....)

LOL!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 3:32 PM on May. 19, 2013

• lol, I'm definitely not a "hard" Christian, but for me this represents one side of the debate going on in the early Christian community over the role of women in the church. It is believed that Jesus himself had women benefactors and women in high positions within his group of disciples, which was radical at the time, when Judaism still tended to regulate women as a second class and lesser than man. I like the conversation you see between the different authors of the NT, discussing this aspect especially, since I am a woman. There are authors who are quoted saying there is neither male or female, etc, etc, and then you have authors who take this side of the argument - just like you see with over the requirement of conversion (circumcision) and other issues as well. Fascinating, IMO, to see how the religion grew up after the death of Jesus and the many different voices trying to have a say ;)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:28 PM on May. 19, 2013

• You mean Bible literalists? I'm a Christian, but I am not a huge fan of Paul, so...lol

ClassicalMom3

Answer by ClassicalMom3 at 4:28 PM on May. 19, 2013

• You are referring to 1 Corinthians 14:34. The silence refers to a temporary silence and implies that the women were speaking in an insubordinate way - it refers to a specific situation. In 1 Corinthians 11, Paul specifically addresses women praying and prophesying in church so he couldn't mean women should be quiet in all situations.

Answer by missanc at 6:03 PM on May. 19, 2013

• What is a hard Christian?
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 8:00 PM on May. 19, 2013

• what is a hard Christian?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:50 PM on May. 19, 2013

• Yes, what is a hard Christian? I'm chubby, so I like to think of myself as squishy
    snookyfritz

Answer by snookyfritz at 8:56 AM on May. 20, 2013