At what age did you allow your daughter to use tampons? And what age did she start her period?

LuuvinLife

Asked by LuuvinLife at 7:52 PM on May. 19, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

• My daughter will be 12 this summer and has not started her period yet, but I'm okay with her using tampons as soon as she is comfortable inserting them. I don't want her to miss out on swimming just because she has her period! I have some of the Tampax slenders on hand for when she does start and is comfortable.

Answer by missanc at 7:57 PM on May. 19, 2013

• DD started at 10. I let her use them within a few months so she didn't have to miss out on swimming during our vacation. She started with the slims. Now she uses regulars.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:19 PM on May. 19, 2013

• Thank you for your responses. My daughter just turned 12 and got her period 6 months ago at 11. I posted this question in the TEENS forum also and its very interesting to me that the average reply for tampon use in that group was age 14-15 but here the age is lower at age 10 (maybe 12)! Of course there are only 2 replies at this point...
    I don't think my daughter is responsible enough for tampons just yet. I feel she may forget to remove the tampons in a timely manner (she forgets SO many other things!) plus her period isn't coming regularly and the flow is not that heavy either. Meanwhile, her *father* thinks its ridiculous that I told her "not yet". I think its ridiculous that a father would be PUSHING tampons!
    LuuvinLife

Comment by LuuvinLife (original poster) at 8:16 AM on May. 20, 2013

• Depends on your daughter. If she is into sports or like mentioned above goes swimming. I don't think, she'd forget to remove her tampon - she will be continuing to use the restroom throughout the day.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 4:27 PM on May. 21, 2013

• I would let her as soon as she wants, she is 10 and so far no period, and probably not for a few more years at least.
    Anonymous

• when she wanted to I taught her but I said after 14!!!!! cause that is when she started high school
    ravenclaw78

Answer by ravenclaw78 at 5:14 PM on May. 22, 2013

• My daughter is too young to have a period, but I'll let her use tampons as soon as she is comfortable inserting them. I didn't know about tampons in high school and was sometimes embarrassed because I was on the swim team and couldn't practice when I had my period. I would want my daughter to be able to make an educated choice about what feminine products to use. It's probably fine as long as your daughter knows the importance of changing the tampon every few hours.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:29 AM on May. 26, 2013

• Ok I would say when she is in highschool or middle school because if she is in like 6th or 7th she would not like it so I would say use pads into she is like 14 or13
    Dshanti

Answer by Dshanti at 12:42 PM on Jun. 1, 2013