At what age did you allow your daughter to use tampons? And what age did she start her period?

LuuvinLife

Asked by LuuvinLife at 7:53 PM on May. 19, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• My daughter started her period when she was 12 and that's when I allowed her to use tampons. But I explained to her the risks. I've always had pads and tampons available. And now I also have soft cups. So there are 3 options.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 8:00 PM on May. 19, 2013

• My daughter was 11 or 12 and I had no problem but she HATED them so she didn't use them until she was 15 or 16 and only here and there
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:14 PM on May. 19, 2013

• "Allow"??
    Like you were going to stop her?
    A woman should be able to use what ever kind of feminine protection she is comfortable with.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 9:24 PM on May. 19, 2013

• I didn't ALLOW them tell they where 16, something like that. They used pads.

Answer by louise2 at 9:35 PM on May. 19, 2013

• Well I don't have a daughter but based on my own experiences I would give her the option of trying both pads and tampons. I didn't get my period until I was 15-16 and used tampons because that's what all my gf's used and I was on the cheerleading team. But for the past 12 years I have used pads because tampons make me feel sick. As long as my daughter understood how to use them and possible dangers I would let her choose but I would still probably try to steer her toward pads. But everyone is different and has to learn what their preference is.
    LadybugTash

Answer by LadybugTash at 9:39 PM on May. 19, 2013

• my parents didn't allow me until I was 15....same thing with my daughter
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 10:33 PM on May. 19, 2013

• I started my period at 11, I used pads for almost two years, I tried tampons at 13 and didn't like them, about a year later I tried tampons again and used them ever since, Why would you not allow your daughter to use tampons?
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 1:04 AM on May. 20, 2013

• Thanks for your responses. The "woman" in question (my daughter) who just turned 12 and got her period 6 months ago. I don't feel she will remember to remove the tampons in a timely fashion. Her flow is very mild & its not yet regular so I just don't feel its necessary yet and I told her so.
    Meanwhile, her *father* thinks its ridiculous that I told her "not yet". I feel its ridiculous (and creepy!) that a father would be PROMOTING tampons!
    LuuvinLife

Comment by LuuvinLife (original poster) at 8:21 AM on May. 20, 2013

• My daughter is much too youn to tart her period, but I'll make tampons available to her when she does. I prefer pads myself, but I want her to make an informed choice for herself. Nobody told me about tampons till I was in college, and then whe a friend let me know how they worked, I had to experiment with several of them till I learned how to put them in correctly. I only use them whe I've got a really heavy flow or want to go swimming or something, but it's nice to have a choice available.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:52 PM on May. 25, 2013

• My DD started her period at 10 and used tampons right away. For her pads were just a bloody mess literally! honestly its not our decision what they use. unless you are sure they cannot manage changing tampons regularly ex. mental disability. PEOPLE its not like she's going to lose her virginity to them. -_-
    Ellie-lynn

Answer by Ellie-lynn at 8:08 PM on Jul. 22, 2013