Besides OFF, is there a way to keep mosquitoes away from my front door?

I saw in another post that someone mentioned using vinegar to keep ants away & it got me wondering if it would work on mosquitoes too. We have bushes out front, & I think they mostly hang out in there, but also like to hang out by the front door too. Any suggestions of other things you've tried that worked?

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 9:12 AM on May. 20, 2013 in Home & Garden

• For a yard full of bugs, he suggests, do the following three things: 

1. Dry out all water, including gutters and flower pots. 

2. Use an area spray, such as those from Cutter and Off.  The versions you mount on a garden hose cover more area than aerosol cans. 

3.  As a last resort, purchase a trap.  More expensive units that generate carbon dioxide do the best job, according to Consumer Reports. 

Read more: http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/money/consumer/dont_waste_your_money/solutions-to-backyard-mosquito-problems#ixzz2Tq4wfng8

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:25 AM on May. 20, 2013

• There are supposed to be mosquito resistant plants as well: Lemon Grass is one. I've not tried that method, but it's worth looking into. You could place those near the door.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:17 AM on May. 20, 2013

• Get some citronella oil and dilute with water and spray the areas you're pestered by them

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:03 AM on May. 20, 2013

• When I lived in a more humid climate I would spray the brick on the house with a mosquito yard and patio spray. It was one of those things you attach to your hose. Those things seemed to breed on the brick, and because our patio was shaded for a portion of the day they seemed to like hanging out there. They would tear you up when you stepped out to do anything out back.

If you are looking for natural remedies I am not sure.  I will see if I can find anything.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:16 AM on May. 20, 2013

• Believe me, if I knew something that worked, I'd patent it! lol We have them awful around here (we live near a lake). if you think they're coming from the bushes, you could check to see if there's any standing water in there. They love stagnant water. If you can eliminate a lot of that (if there is any), that can help some.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 9:17 AM on May. 20, 2013

• also recommended were to plant mosquito repellent plants in the area you are having problems. I know one of them you can actually use part of it for your skin.

http://eartheasy.com/blog/2011/04/5-easy-to-grow-mosquito-repelling-plants/

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:27 AM on May. 20, 2013

• Those stinky citronella candles, which really only protect the area around the candle.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 9:50 AM on May. 20, 2013

• Trying spraying around your door with Listerine. It works when spritzed on the body to keep them away. I've never tried it as a general spray, but it might work. By the way, it can be a knock off brand just as long as it smells like Listerine!!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:59 AM on May. 20, 2013

• There are plants that will deter mosquitos.
    Here is an article by a gardening site that not only tells you the plants but how to get the most benefit from them and care for the,
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:25 AM on May. 20, 2013

• There are battery-operated flameless citronella candles.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:14 AM on May. 26, 2013