I am having a problem getting my 2 ( 3 in July) to take her liquid medicine ..

I am having a problem getting my 2 ( 3 in July) to take her liquid medicine, its about 3 diff kinds ( she has a cold ) .. She will start coughing to get out of taking it. It has to be taken 3 times a day .. Whats the easiest way to get her to take the med ?

JaceyandIndi

Asked by JaceyandIndi at 3:35 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I would not mix it in any food... for a couple of reasons - if she doesn't like she has to eat ALL of what you mixed it into to get the dose.. and it can cause a food adversion and she might stop eating too! She will wonder what you might sneak in her food next.

I would first try a reward system -stickers work well.
    You can have her "help" you by pushing the end of the syringe and squirting it in herself.
    You could have a special cup to have her wash it down with

If she is a fighter... sometimes it has to be forced.
    If you are alone... you can sit on the floor with her head in your lap and use one of you legs to cross her arms and chest to keep her from grabing
    Then squeeze her cheeks to make a fishy face (help prevent some of the spitting)
    Then put the syringe in her mouth and give small squirts
    Blow fast puffs of air in her face to cause a swallow reflex
    She still might spit a lot of it out...
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:08 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• if you can mix it in the food... but you might want to ask the pediatrician about it. some meds are not suppose to be mixed with the food.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 3:42 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• i talk it up.
    my 27 month old at first fought against the medicine and i had to hold her down, hold her limbs and head and stick the syringe in the corner of her mouth, and slowly give it to her. once she got the taste after a couple of times she didn't seem to mind so much. part of it is establishing the disciplinary position, cuz this is also the terrible two's of boundary stepping.

depends on the medicine, hers is an antibiotic that needs to be taken w/ food. so i ask her if she wants a cracker or banana (her fave food) and of course her enthusiasm soars :) so i use that same enthusiasm to talk up the meds, and reward her with the food afterward. now when i say "time for medicine" she repeats "meh-sin?" and sucks it down! ;-)
    chickenhobbit

Answer by chickenhobbit at 12:03 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Thanks ladies !
    JaceyandIndi

Answer by JaceyandIndi at 7:06 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• cont.
    Just do the best you can...
    Even if she fights and fights STILL reward her for taking it with a sticker

With the 3 meds always start with the most important one.

Talk to the doctor about different med options... maybe there is a more concentrated form that has a less amount to take, one that tastes better, one that has to be taken less often, or maybe something chewable that she might like more.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:11 AM on Feb. 18, 2009