weight issues

any idea of some healthy foods snacks meals what ever to help my son to lose a lil weight? Dr says he isnt over weight but he cries to me telling me he is fat and has "boobs" he is 9 and at this age kids begin teasing one another and I dont want him to lose his self esteem then his grades drop and so on thanks in advance

theycallmemomie

Asked by theycallmemomie at 3:39 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Some good snacks to keep on hand: yogurt, veggies and low fat veggie dip (or even ranch), fruit (fresh or dried), nuts, whole grain pretzels with hummus, whole wheat crackers and cheese sticks, popcorn (lite salt, no butter). Those are a few things that are good for after school snacks that are not high in fat and don't have HFCS. As far as breakfast goes, whole wheat waffles, oatmeal, healty cereals (not the sugary nasty kinds), scrambled eggs and whole wheat toast or english muffins, Dinner things: grilled or baked meats instead of fried, sweet potatoes, brown rice, fresh steamed veggies. Just a few ideas. Getting out to play with him, ride bikes, play frisbee, etc, is always great for burning extra calories after school too. Good luck!!
    Anonymous

• First, get rid of all the processed shit from your cabinets. Then go shopping for fresh fruits, veggies, nuts, cheese, whole wheat crackers, whole wheat bread, whole grain pastas, brown rice, lean meats, cottage cheese and yogurt. These are my staples. I also use olive oil and butter, and lots of herbs and spices.

Then prepackage his snacks so he is learning what a serving is. Put the recommended amount in a small baggy and let him pick one baggy or snack. Also, make him healthy meals that have the right portion sizes.

After you have the eating down, take away all but 1 hour of tube time. If you have a video game system, make him play something like the Wii or Dance Dance before letting him on the regular games.

Maintaining a good weight is more than just food, it is activity, planning, portion control and knowing what are the best choices for his hunger.
    yakara77

Answer by yakara77 at 7:14 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Could you see a nutritionist? She will help him, and exercise is the best. Good LUck.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 7:43 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Just wanted to tell you that Your NOT alone. My dd is 8 and weighs 103 pounds. She is 4 1/2 ft tall and very solidly built. Always has been but I also see a tendancy to hold weight around her middle to I have enrolled her in basketball. She loves it and its helping along with the eating healthier and smaller portions. Good luck momma!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Feb. 20, 2009