Should we have intergrated?

I was just watching a video on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG7U1QsUd1g&feature=player_embedded The doll test demonstrated that African-American children had internalized negative beliefs about themselves and their race due to the social stigma of segregation. However in this recent video it shows that African American children are STILL internalizing those negative beliefs. Should we have intergrated? If yes, then what else can be done to assist these children?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 1:18 PM on May. 20, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• I think the problem is that people see things more as race than as class.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:22 PM on May. 20, 2013

• If that is true, then somebody is teaching them those negative beliefs. Children are not born with them. The color of a person's skin is totally irrelevant; the content of an individual's character is the only thing that matters.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 1:51 PM on May. 20, 2013

• ^^^ I think she's referring to the media's portrayal of "what's beautiful".
    But, honestly it's not just AA girls struggling due to the media. Girls of all races, Caucasian included feel the pressure to be ultra thin with perfect features.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 2:25 PM on May. 20, 2013

• It's not often I agree with NannyB, but this is one time I do. Children are born innocent and naive, and we teach them what and how to think - and by "we" I mean parents, neighbors, teachers, everyone a child is exposed to. Other people are teaching these children to think negatively of themselves. It might not even be intentional - might not be someone sitting there telling the child "you're inferior." It could be one of those "actions are louder than words" situations - teachers showing preference for white over black children, white neighbors looking askance at the black family that just moved into the neighborhood, black parents who've dealt with racism who try to prepare their children to deal with it and the child misinterprets it.

I think integration was a good thing, yes. As for what more can be done...that's a good question. It's about people's attitudes now, and that's harder to force change on.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 3:33 PM on May. 20, 2013

• I think that I agree with NannyB and Wendythewriter. I don't think I really have anything to add to what they both said.
    marymargret

Answer by marymargret at 6:23 PM on May. 20, 2013

• Racism is a learned behavior.. Awhile back, me and my 4 yr old dd were at the playland at McD's when a black mom told her son "You shouldn't play with little white girls", and left. Ya my jaw dropped at that statement.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 11:57 PM on May. 20, 2013

• I don't think integration had much to do with it. My dd is white with blond hair and blue eyes but when she was little she always chose the darker skinned/darker haired dolls because she thought they were prettier. I was concerned at the time that she was going to grow up hating the way she looked, but looking back I think she liked them because they were different.
    I think it has more to do with society overall than with schools though. The western idea of "beauty". There is one standard and if you deviate from that, you aren't beautiful. That's wrong, but I don't see that idea changing much anytime soon.

Answer by missanc at 10:41 AM on May. 21, 2013

• I think you might look into the communities in which they live and are raised. They are being taught these ideas by their parents or those the come in contact with frequently.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:39 AM on May. 21, 2013

Answer by Michigan-Mom74

This maybe because history has taught AA's that white girls would rather say that they were raped than say that they were having sex with a black guy. So AA mothers teach their sons to have nothing to do with white girls.
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 4:40 PM on May. 21, 2013

• My boys play with anyone who will play with them and I encourage it. We live in apartments and there are Hispanic and African American and white kids they all play together and enjoy having fun together. I say racism is taught by the parents.  Rather it is their preconceived ideas, or fear from the past or what ever reason that it may be, racisim is taught.  It may not be intentional, however I feel if you want to raise your kids to not be racisit you have to really look at yourself deep down inside and examine the things we say to our kids or our behavior around those who are different from us.  We have to hold ourselves to a higher moral standard and not make decisions based on our race but based on what is right. 

marymargret

Answer by marymargret at 8:03 PM on May. 21, 2013