First home party with registry?

We are finally after 10 years of marriage buying our first home! We have 3 kids, have been living in a 2 bedroom 780 sq foot apartment for 6 years!! before that, not much better or bigger... now we may be moving into a home 3 times what we are used to, and we will have so much space! We have denied ourselves so many little and big things because we didnt have the room, so now I want to be able to get some nice stuff we have always wanted (baking dishes, bookshelves, more cooking stuff, decor for the kids rooms, etc). We are pouring everything we have into getting this place, so we wont have any left over to outfit it the way we hope. I work somewhere that does gift registries for weddings, birthday, housewarmings.. and people do them a lot. My husband and mom think its tacky.. I think people love to help friends and family with a new home.

what are your opinions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:33 PM on May. 20, 2013 in Home & Garden

• I dunno, I mean you aren't newly married or having a baby so... I think it's a bit much
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:35 PM on May. 20, 2013

• so one has to be buying there first home right after being married in order to celebrate buying their first home???
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:37 PM on May. 20, 2013

• I might do a housewarming party, but I don't think I would go so far as to register for anything. People usually bring a gift to a housewarming party anyhow.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:41 PM on May. 20, 2013

• I thinks it's ok to have a housewarming party, but expecting people to bring gifts and decorate your house for you is a bit much.
    Hollyhock.

Answer by Hollyhock. at 1:44 PM on May. 20, 2013

• I have always heard of families asking for and offering items they may have and no longer need to those who move into their first home but not heard of anyone doing a registry.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 1:52 PM on May. 20, 2013

• A housewarming party is fine, but creating a registry and expecting gifts is very uncouth.
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 1:53 PM on May. 20, 2013

• Usually that is what a bridal shower is for. But if you think the people that you send announcements/invites to a housewarming will buy the stuff for you then go for it. Whats the worse that can happen? If I was going to do it then I would have a party & send invites with a little poem with something like "we waited so long & if you would like help us get settled we need lots of stuff, so we're registered at ***** We would be so grateful but if you can't then bring yourself anyway! :)" Congrats!

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:56 PM on May. 20, 2013

• I've never heard of a house warming party with a registry. I think it's a bit much. Usually you get home items on your bridal registry. Most people just bring a bottle of wine, food or a plant to a house warming party.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 1:58 PM on May. 20, 2013

• I think it's a bit over the top. Instead of asking for the gifts I'd simply keep it slow and steady buying what you want as you get the money. Money is tight for everyone and I'd be a little insulted to find out I'm being invited to a house warming and Oh by the way bring the new silverware with you.....
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 2:07 PM on May. 20, 2013

• It is very tacky to register for anything in my opinion. We live in such an entitled society everyone expects a gift for everything. You bought a new house great for you but the expectation of others paying to decorate is pretty sad. I worry you won't be able to afford to maintain your home it is pretty expensive.

Anonymous