screening for down syndrome

Around what week do they do the screening for down syndrome?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:41 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I think about 24 weeks I had mine around Thanksgiving and I am 38 weeks right now.
    pinkbutterfly

Answer by pinkbutterfly at 3:45 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I had blood work done for down syndrome at 16 weeks, and then they did more at my 20 ultrasound.
    musikdoll

Answer by musikdoll at 3:53 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• i had the bloodwork done at 15 weeks and that was the only test they did.
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 3:56 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I just want you to know that the tripple screen (the test your asking about) has a very HIGH false positive, so if your results come back abnormal, PLEASE dont freak out, most of the time its wrong, it was with my baby!
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 4:07 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I refused all of that testing at my apt right before the 20 week u/s... it's normal a blood test somewhere around 15-16 weeks.. depending on the doctors, but it could also be not until your 22 weeks, I was asked with my first closer to 22-24 weeks.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 4:07 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• They dont' do it automatically. At the beginning of both of my pregnancies I told them I didn't want the screening so they didn't do it.
    StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 4:07 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I had a nuchal translucency test at 12 weeks with each of my pregnancies. The triple screen is so NOT reliable.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:32 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I can't remember exactly how far along I was, but it was.... however, just because it shows up, DOES NOT mean that the baby will have it. There are many other markers in which need to be lit up not just from that screening.
    TheLaakSmith

Answer by TheLaakSmith at 8:31 PM on Feb. 17, 2009