Any way to stop a cold sore from forming?

I've only had one cold sore ever, now I think I have one about to start at the corner of my mouth. Is there anything to stop it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:17 PM on May. 20, 2013 in Health

• It hurts like the dickens for a few seconds, but I've found that it helps to moisten your finger and dip it into a bit of baking soda to make a paste, then dab it on the spot where the sore is forming. Saliva from your tongue gets on the sore, even if it's on the outside corner of your mouth, and the baking soda will neutralize the acid in the saliva and make the sore heal more quickly. Brace yourself, though.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:36 PM on May. 20, 2013

• nothing to stop it. Lysine supplements are said to help shorten the suffering and help prevent them in the future, but once one starts coming on, you just have to get to the other side of it :(
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 4:20 PM on May. 20, 2013

• Try putting some ice in a paper towel and holding it on the spot for a few minutes. Take it off, wait a bit and repeat. There's also a product called Campho-phenique that is quite helpful.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:39 PM on May. 20, 2013

• Take L-Lysene. 1000 mg 4 x a day until it is gone or you feel like it is not fighting it off- after that switch to one tablet a day for a year. When you are done , you shouldn't get them again..

Nothing over the counter works. They might soothe it, but won't stop it.
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 10:29 PM on May. 20, 2013

• Rinse with antiseptic mouthwash like Listerine or the generic 3 times a day and rinse with water well afterward. Use Abreva cold sore medication, Orajel or Campho-phenique. Use petroleum jelly or Neosporin on it to moisturize and protect. Eat real licorice (not licorice flavored candy). Rinse your toothbrush in antiseptic mouthwash too.

http://www.vitacost.com/quantum-lipclear-lysine-and-cold-sore-treatment-all-natural-ointment-0-25-oz?csrc=GPF-PA-046985016742&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw=&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=046985016742&gclid=CJLF04nJprcCFYyZ4AodLS4AYA

hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 2:34 AM on May. 21, 2013