Is this book alright for an 8yo?

my daughter is reading the diary of ann franks. i've never read it but i know what it's all about. and i was wondering if it's alright if she reads it or should i tell her to wait til she gets older.
what are your thoughts?
i also have both of carrie boom boom's books, which she hasn't found yet but i'm not sure if they are too old for her too.

noel1978

Asked by noel1978 at 5:47 PM on May. 20, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Depends on her maturity level and what you think she can handle. I know my almost 8 yo isn't read for it yet, but yours might be.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 6:08 PM on May. 20, 2013

• Depends. How much does she know about WWII and the Holocaust? Is she a bit sensitive? If so, I would try something like Rose Blanche to begin with.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 6:02 PM on May. 20, 2013

• Number the Stars is an awesome book for an eight year old. I would highly recommend reading that first.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 6:42 PM on May. 20, 2013

• My children are grandchildren of a survivor of the Holocaust and didn't read it until 12 or 13. It would really depend on her maturity. You might say "let me read it first so we can discuss it" or "let's read it together."

When I was about 8 I read a book called the Upstairs Room. It was from a young girl who was in hiding's perspective, but not as graphic or dramatic as Anne Frank. I bought the book at one point and my DD read it about the same age.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 6:44 PM on May. 20, 2013

• It depends on the child. I would definitely have some discussions with her to help her process what she is reading. Do you mean Corrie Ten Boom?

Answer by missanc at 6:14 PM on May. 20, 2013

• I read the book Number the Stars at about 9. It was a little less detailed since it was Historic Fiction based for that age range. I did not read Ann Frank until Middle school... I looked it up on common Sense media and they give it an age recommendation of 11 but you know your child best. I assume you read it first to refresh your memory on the exact content...?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:40 PM on May. 20, 2013

• Sure. If she is mature enough for the theme (and i guess genaral anatomy discussion)
    At that age one of my girls would have been skeeved and the other would have asked for more info
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 5:59 PM on May. 20, 2013

• I would personally wait but I can not remember the recommended age level for tat book
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 6:01 PM on May. 20, 2013

• I suspect that if she's really not ready, she'll stop reading it.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 6:13 PM on May. 20, 2013

• I too think it depends on the child. It's a pretty short read, maybe you could read it one day and see what you think.

ClassicalMom3

Answer by ClassicalMom3 at 6:40 PM on May. 20, 2013