Should they still have to give the reward?

A family in my town lost their dog a few weeks ago, she got out, and the owners had fliers up all over town offering a $1000 reward for her return. Well a neighbor found the poor dogs body over the weekend, she had chased a rabbit into a ditch full of junk and her head got stuck in a tire, and while yanking her head around trying to get out, broke her neck.
So (morally) should this family still pay the guy the reward for finding her body so they could take it home to cremate?
Thoughts?

To Clarify, I do NOT think the owners should have to give the reward, and the finder is Not demanding a reward, this was a question my brother asked me so we were discussing it

cassie_kellison

Asked by cassie_kellison at 7:28 PM on May. 20, 2013 in Pets

• I was in that sad situation fifteen years ago or so when I lot Smoky, my Nanday conure, after one of my dogs pushed the door open and he flew outside. I put up fliers everywhere, and although I couldn't afford a thousand dollars, I offered a small reward. Some construction workers found my bird on the hospital roof after he had hit a window while flying and broke his neck--he wasn't used to freedom. I tried to give them the reward because I felt like I should, since they'd let me know what happened to my poor Smoky. They wouldnt take it, which I thought was nice of them, especially since they brought the body back so I could bury my bird in my zinnia bed.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:18 PM on May. 20, 2013

• I wouldn't expect it if the dog was dead. That seems kinda callous to me.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 7:33 PM on May. 20, 2013

• In my opinion they are asking that the dog be returned alive. It is implied in looking for my lost dog flyers.
    If it were me and I found this dead dog I would either tell them dog has been found dead and not pretty, or wrap the dog up in a blanket and take it to them. This is an act of kindness, so the family can find closure.
    The blanket should be returned, cleaned but no other compensation should be sought. (IMO)
    Possibly the family might offer a small compensation for the kindness and "trouble" of returning the dog.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 8:04 PM on May. 20, 2013

• Seriously? Um NO! That's horrible to think they would want to profit from this family's heartbreak. It's not like a criminal wanted dead or alive for some kind of reward, it's a furry family member. Your neighbor should be satisfied giving them peace of mind, not taking their money for Heaven's sakes.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:33 PM on May. 20, 2013

• I would never expect or accept money in that situation. If offered I would refuse the money (whether the animal was ok or had passed on). If the person insisted on giving me money, I would tell them to use the money as a donation to an animal shelter in memory of their dog/cat.
    Nos4

Answer by Nos4 at 8:51 PM on May. 20, 2013

• Morally?
    Because they didnt emohasize alive, i guess so
    On the discovers end- cant believe theyd expect it
    The word is compassion

Perhaps they could work out a partial?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 7:31 PM on May. 20, 2013

• They called the Sheriffs office so the Sherriff could let them know what happened and where to get pick her up. I do NOT think they should have to give a reward just to clarify!
    cassie_kellison

Comment by cassie_kellison (original poster) at 9:00 PM on May. 20, 2013