How so i stop my 1 year old from bittein?

My son just turn 1 in jan and he keeps bittein me. He leaves bruse and teeth marks? It hurts so bad hes not teethin he has most of his teeth. I tired to talk to him but that just dont work.. Im a young mother and dont know what to do please help me

Jordan_Mom

Asked by Jordan_Mom at 3:42 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It might sound really mean but my daughter started to bite and all I did was bit her back not enough to really hurt her or leave marks but just enough for her to know that it hurts and not to do it
    Anonymous

• I'm having this same problem...I've tried just about everything and the only thing I can recomend is time. I think its just a phase some kids go through. I can tell you I tried biting back, my mom suggested it, and I didnt bite hard (my son didnt even shed a tear) and I left a mark on his arm! I was mortified! I called my mom and yelled at her for her horrible advice! The mark only last a day and a half and it never really seemed to bother my son but just the ide that I had done that to him really bothered me! It didnt even help...in fact he turned right around and bite me again! I just know it made me feel better to know that I wasnt the only mama going through this! I even got to the point where I was shying away from physical contact with my son because he ALWAYS bit me! I hope you find a solution, Good Luck!
    Anonymous

• Do you have a playpen? If so, take all the toys out of it.
    When he bites:
    Tell him "NO, BITING HURTS" in a strong, firm voice.
    Plop him in the playpen and turn your back.
    Leave him there for 1 minute.
    He may scream and fuss but that's the point. You are teaching him that you will take your attention away from him when he bites.
    Kids this age don't care if attention is good or bad. Yes, love and cuddles is better than a spanking but both are far better than being ignored. Use that. It's the whole point of time-outs.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:03 PM on Feb. 17, 2009