I want to learn to sew. Tips on the sewing machine to buy?

I will most likely buy used and pay to calibrate the machine if needed. Any tips appreciated!

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 7:37 PM on May. 20, 2013 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Start by going to your local machine shop, not a name brand one
    Tell them what you want to do
    A good sales person should show you different models and what they can do
    Then take that info and start searching online for decent used

You should be able to get a decent one to learn on and decide if its your cuppa tea

PM me with anymore questions
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 8:24 PM on May. 20, 2013

• Don't start out with something insane- like 12,000 embroidery patterns on it and stuff.
    If you're learning the basics, get a basic machine.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 11:43 PM on May. 20, 2013

• hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 1:37 AM on May. 21, 2013

• hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 1:39 AM on May. 21, 2013

• I wouldn't buy a machine at Wal-mart, or costco, because you won't get any real assistance, and often the machines are designed just for the affordability for those stores.

There are three things I look for: first, you want a strong enough motor to go through heavier weight fabrics such as pants and jeans, especially if you'd like to be able to hem them. Second and third, look for a side spool pin and top loading bobbin, top loading bobbins are just plain easier to use, and the combination helps to prevent bobbin jams.

Buying a used one is okay, but there are things to consider. One, you won't have a warranty, and two it the machine has sat unused for very long....it will need a servicing right away. The lubricant in a machine dries up and hardens when the machine isn't used often enough, and can cause the machine to seize up, or the lubricant can dry and harden, then it can crumble and get into other parts of the machine.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:45 AM on May. 25, 2013

• Continued:

A service averages around $90, and you could put that toward a nicer machine.

If you go to a reputable dealer, they will give you a free "owner's" class, where they teach you how to thread the machine, wind a bobbin, do general maintenance, teach you about needles and threads, and basically how to use the machine. It's generally well worth it, and you will love your machine more if they teach you how to use it.

Singer, Brother and Kenmore are the more economical machines, Janome and Babylock tend to be higher quality, and Viking, Bernina and Pfaff are the high end machines. A basic machine from the high end list starts at about $300, but should last you for 20-25 years, and generally has a much better stitch consistency.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:49 AM on May. 25, 2013

• Thank you!! The budget for the machine will be around 100, so used was my best option. I picked up a few books at the library to get me started. I would eventually like to stitch thicker fabrics and definitely want to hem pants!
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 11:32 AM on May. 25, 2013

• Have fun!! Check out pinterest, there are great sewing projects and tutorials on there....and by the way, what machine did you get?
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 3:27 PM on May. 25, 2013

• Haven't gotten one. Hoping for mid june
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 4:13 PM on May. 25, 2013