Has anyone used Early Intervention speech therapy services in NY?

My 22 month old was referred for speech therapy because she only says a few words, no stringing of words or small sentences. I called today (Queens ) and a "Service coordinator " is supposed to call me back. Does this case manager follow your case every month? Did the speech therapy help your child? Just looking for info. I personally think she is just a late talker but feel pressured by her pediatrician. Thanks in advance.

sophiesmom07

Asked by sophiesmom07 at 3:43 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son has been getting speech therapy since he was 2. At that time, we were living in Louisiana and the service was provided by Early Steps (the name for Early Intervention in LA). When he turned 3, speech therapy was taken over by the school board. He received one hour a week at the local elementary school. We moved to NY last July, and he's been receiving his speech therapy here since October. We had to go through a lot of testing, and then it was approved. Again, this is through the school district. A private therapist comes to my house one hour a week, and when he starts kindergarten, he will hopefully receive at least 2 hours of speech therapy a week during school hours.
    The sooner you start with speech therapy, the better. Goodluck.
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 3:50 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• My son started speech therapy with the Early Childhood Intervention here in Dallas, TX about 8 months ago...his peditrician asked if I was interested but he wasnt too concerned so I said what the hell and tried it out. A licensed speech therapist comes out once and month and does therapy w/ him as in different games that would help him also a worker from ECI comes out twice a month and does similar activities w/ him as well. My son is extremely intelligent just was very laZy with speech. It has helped my son Gage who is now 2 1/2 very much and he communicates a lot better now and im still continuing to do this. Wish you luCK!
    TSSN88

Answer by TSSN88 at 3:56 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• One resource is your local Early Childhood Direction Center (ECDC). The one in Queens is at Queens Center for Progress, 82-25 164th Street, Jamaica, NY 11432, Phone:(718) 374-0002 Ext. 465, Fax:(718) 969-9149

More info on how ECDCs can assist you is found at: http://www.vesid.nysed.gov/lsn/ecdc/qa.htm

halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 3:58 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I'm over in Niagara County and have a son in EI.

The service coordinator basically handles the "case". She will check in with you every so often, but I've not heard from her every month. If you have any questions or problems with the services she is receiving, you call the coordinator.

My son was 22 months and had NO words. He's made tremendous progress! He's talking and making small sentences. He just started last October.

You don't have to do it. You can refuse services. My opinion...she's behind, okay. So if help is available, shouldn't she have that help to catch up to her peers instead of being consistently behind for YEARS instead of months?
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:13 PM on Feb. 17, 2009