Would parents support this? Why or why not?

Would you all support or oppose efforts by K-12 public schools to generate operational funding by selling ads that are seen by students in hallways, on their report cards, or elsewhere??
I saw this on a article, and wanted to know what you all thought of this. Would you support it? Or no, you would not. And why??

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:46 AM on May. 21, 2013 in Parenting Debate

• I agree with Leksis, if the states and the fed are unwilling to fully fund public schools then they have to find other ways
    musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 12:54 AM on May. 21, 2013

• My first thought was that I'd be skeptical of a school, as somewhat of an authority figure in the lives of kids, seeming to support certain products by promoting their advertising. But it's true, if the government can't or won't fund the schools, the money will have to come from somewhere. Ads would generate more money than those stupid fundraiser catalogs full of overpriced candles and wrapping paper.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:19 AM on May. 21, 2013

• I've been suggesting to our local district to offer ad space on its buses to help pay for transportation costs. I think as long as it's an appropriate sponsor, (not like-alcohol, smoking or Viagra :p) then it can only be beneficial to our kids. For some reason, politicians would rather spend money on stupid stuff, rather than make sure our kids aren't!

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:58 AM on May. 21, 2013

• Our schools put them on the buses. I dont care because the money goes to the schools.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 9:09 AM on May. 21, 2013

• My school did this and no one minded, it helped pay for sports and music programs
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 12:48 AM on May. 21, 2013

• It would not bother me in the least as long as there were limits on who could rent the space. Such as not tobacco, alcohol, pharmaceuticals or any product that is marketed as an 'adult' product.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:04 AM on May. 21, 2013

• I would be okay with it, depending on the ads. If we're talking ads for Bud Light and and condoms...no. But if it's an ad for the local pizza place or a sports store, sure.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:52 AM on May. 21, 2013

• As long as the ads were appropriate, I'd say, it seems like an excellent way to generate money for the schools... If the gov. isn't going to do it, then the schools need to take matters into their own hands & get creative. Plus it would help out a lot for the poorer area's that can't afford to pass levies, do constant fund raisers, etc... why not take advantage of big buisness's money, & put it to use in a positive way for the betterment of our children?
    HappyEndings

Answer by HappyEndings at 8:13 AM on May. 21, 2013

• Wouldn't that be exposing our children repeatedly to a certain companies ideas? Wouldn't that be like brainwashing them into brand recognition and favoring one over the other.

No more so than them watching commercials on their favorite channels, looking at billboards or riding the commuter train... advertisements are everywhere having them in the school's where kids would see them would be no more 'brainwashing' that the ones they watch on tv or see online every day already.
    Anonymous

• Interesting idea. Wouldn't that be exposing our children repeatedly to a certain companies ideas? Wouldn't that be like brainwashing them into brand recognition and favoring one over the other.
    Very smart for businesses but I am not so sure it is smart for the children in the schools.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:42 AM on May. 21, 2013