Does butter work the same in baking cookies as shortening does?

I have a hankering for oatmeal cookies and the recipe calls for shortening and I don't have enough. Could I use butter instead? Do I use the same amount? I used butter once in my chocolate chip cookies in place of shortening and they didn't turn out the same... the were really spread out.

mommy_of_isaiah

Asked by mommy_of_isaiah at 3:50 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Butter makes them looser, but I'd use it anyway. You can try a litlte less, but I don't mind that they spread out more.

Answer by Bmat at 3:52 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Maybe I could just combine the rest of my shortening and use butter as well. I'll give it a try. Thanks!
    mommy_of_isaiah

Answer by mommy_of_isaiah at 3:55 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• butter actually has water in it (naturaly) and shortning is all fat. It think that oatmeal cookies would be ok. Or look for a different recipe
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 6:55 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• You can use a little of both. I wouldn't go with all butter, though.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:12 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I always use all butter. It doesn't seem to do any harm.
    squish

Answer by squish at 12:55 AM on Feb. 18, 2009