Why are there very often no basements or cellars in the South?

In the North, we rarely is a house built on a slab. Mostly I believe because, homes built on a slab would have to be heated all through Winter or the foundation would crack. So if you were to leave for a few days,week etc, you would still need to heat your home.

Is there a reason to build on slabs in the South? Is it because of cost, or is there another issue that I am unaware for not building a cellar?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:46 AM on May. 21, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• The water table and soil doesn't allow for it.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:51 AM on May. 21, 2013

• my guess is (atleast in my case for Florida) the fact that we are practically below sea level as it is. some of our homes are built on stilts because of how easily we flood.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:52 AM on May. 21, 2013

• There are some places where newer homes have basements, but they're a lot more expensive to build there since the ground isn't suited for it. You need a McMansion to have one.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:55 AM on May. 21, 2013

• I knew cost would be a part of it, but assumed that soil had to be the main reason. Florida and other coastal states, I understand about water table. Just did not know there would be a soil issue in other Southern areas that are not below sea level.

In the North here, even homes that are not McMasions have basements, but mostly because slab houses need to keep warm all through the Winter, or the slab would freeze, crack and be ruined, which would be extremely costly to repair, if it could be repaired at all.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:00 AM on May. 21, 2013

• We have a storm cellar, but it's small and kinda built into a hill which prevents flooding. It's expensive to build basements and they'd be swimming pools instead of basements here in Alabama. From what I've read basements could be an additional $20k-40k here in Alabama.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 8:14 AM on May. 21, 2013

• Because there's not enough land for a basement. I grew up in Louisiana, in some areas people can't even be buried underground.
    And, personally I think basements are overrated.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 8:17 AM on May. 21, 2013

• I'm going to say it has a lot to do with the age of the home. The post world war II stuff was frequently built on a slab to get them up as fast as possible. The stuff built in the late 60's early 70's ALL had basements. And of course now it has more to do with the soil and the cost with new construction. But I really think the post WWII it was all about speed.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 8:44 AM on May. 21, 2013

• In my area, it's because of the rock. There are huge amounts of limestone boulders and the only way to have a basement is to blast a hole in the rock. That is extremely expensive and therefore most people don't do it.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:54 AM on May. 21, 2013

• I really don't know, b/c some of those people talked about surviving it in their storm cellars. After what happened in '99, I have to wonder why at least the schools weren't built with one. The whole thing is just so horrible. I can't even fathom it. :(

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:25 AM on May. 21, 2013

• http://fox59.com/2013/05/20/why-arent-there-more-basements-in-oklahoma/#axzz2Tw6BHUdF

I can't make that clicky, but it gives a very basic explanation why there isn't many basements in the OK. Most of these women have covered it already though.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 10:11 AM on May. 21, 2013