If your home was lost in a storm like yesterday's

would it bother you to see reporters walking through what's left of your home, pointing things out like a sightseeing tour?

(ie, right now Matt Lauer and Al Roker walking across the slab of someone's home, saying, "here's the tile, this was a kitchen, here's what's left of a fireplace, and here's the folded flag of a lost loved one who must have served their country. We were going to pick it up, but we figured they'll be looking for that when they come back")

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 8:18 AM on May. 21, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• I think there would be enough things "bothering" me that reporters walking through the ruins would make it onto my radar.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:19 AM on May. 21, 2013

• It might, but with everything else going on it probably wouldn't be my first concern. It would probably irritate me if there were walking through what was left of my house without me there. It might be destroyed but it is still MY property and I wouldn't want people going through what was left intact.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 8:24 AM on May. 21, 2013

• That is insignificant in the scheme of things......

Answer by older at 8:32 AM on May. 21, 2013

• Honestly, I couldn't even imagine what these people are feeling right now. :(
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 8:35 AM on May. 21, 2013

• It might be destroyed but it is still MY property and I wouldn't want people going through what was left intact.

It seems very exploitative to me - almost like they scoured the wrecked houses looking for one "poignant" enough. You could almost feel them celebrating that they found that flag, then left it sitting there in the dirt, covered with muck from the storm, so they could slowly pan in on it while they talked about how horrible everything was. Kind of like the homes that were used for the State Farm commercials until the property owners put a stop to it.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 8:45 AM on May. 21, 2013

• I wouldn't want them doing that to me, and it bothers me that they do it to other people. I had to turn the tv off last night and again this morning, because they show the same pictures over and over and over again. And the endless restatement of the same sad facts time and time again is hard to listen to. They all have the crawls which ought to be used to give us the news that's already been established. Then they could tell us whatever new information they have and then add that to the crawl. It just seems like the intent is to sensationalize anything that can be, and I do not appreciate it at all.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:51 AM on May. 21, 2013

• We lost our home in hurricane Ivan, news crews are the least of your worries. I was more along the lines of omfg, where are we going to live, what can we salvage, how can we afford to buy new ( necessities not shit like tvs). Bigger fish to fry Kwim?
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 8:57 AM on May. 21, 2013

• funloving, I agree with you....you have to be in those shoes to realize how insignificant a news crew might be in that scenario.....

Answer by older at 9:01 AM on May. 21, 2013

• I hope the family is alive & their children are OK too. This is so terrible. 20 children dead. My heart breaks for these people.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:09 AM on May. 21, 2013

• I think if I had just lost everything like the people in OK, I wouldn't be thinking much about reporters walking around in the rubble that was once my home. I would have bigger things to think about.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:19 AM on May. 21, 2013