Did you pick a name for your child that at the time was somewhat original or different..

but is now popular or becoming more well known? Or did you pick names that you liked, w/out caring about whether they were super popular or not?

When picking out names for my kiddos, I tried to pick ones that weren't as popular at the time, but weren't totally off the wall either.... Now they all seem to be more popular or becoming more used...

Audrey- was a bit old fashioned nearly 15 yrs ago, but I've heard it a lot more these days...
Shane- Shawn was a lot more popular nearly 9 yrs ago, when we named our ds, & we liked it, but didn't want him to be in class w/ 5 other kids w/ the same name, so we chose Shane, not realizing that it was becoming pretty popular at the time, now I hear it used a lot
Collin- didn't seem to be used a lot nearly 5 yrs ago, but I hear it quite a bit now
Peyton- seemed different as a girl's name nearly 3 yrs ago, but am also seeming to hear it more often now

Not to say, that any of them are super popular names these days, but it just seems like they are used more... maybe it's just that I didn't pay as much attention until after I'd used those names for my kids....

HappyEndings

Asked by HappyEndings at 8:30 AM on May. 21, 2013 in Baby Names

• My son's name is William Benjamin, but we call him Ben. I love this name and it suits him. (Although if we want to piss him off, we call him Billy Ben.)
    My daughter is Sophia. It wasn't my first choice, but my mom freaked when I said I was going to name her Merlot or Chardonnay, so she suggested it after a trip to Italy. See the things I do for my mom? I'm a giver.
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 8:34 AM on May. 21, 2013

• I picked a common name and spelled different for my girls...and my son had no choice but to be his father's name and the fourth one in the generation to do so....

Answer by older at 8:35 AM on May. 21, 2013

• I picked names I liked without caring about their popularity. But I used very traditional names, since everyone else is trying to find something "unique" these days, my kids ended up with fairly uncommon names.

Answer by missanc at 8:50 AM on May. 21, 2013

• My daughter name is Alyson.. Its not too common right now, but its common, I chose to spell it differently trying to give it a unique twist the downfall to that is she never finds anything with her name one it (Cup, Key Chains ect.) it really upsets her . My sons name is Logan i never really heard it too much before I named him (I saw it on a restaurant) little did i know it would become a VERy common name
    jennybug2003

Answer by jennybug2003 at 8:53 AM on May. 21, 2013

• My daughter has a family name that I have never heard anywhere else. (Except in a story about a little girl at the turn of the century, late 1890s, which was also the time frame for my great aunt. And stories we heard about an woman--also around that age--who had the same name & used to live in this town, which we heard after we moved here when our daughter was 6 months old. And a young-ish blues singer in Arkansas.)
    My 2 sons have names that aren't very common, but still recognizable as "legit" names. I have heard online of a couple of people using one of those names for babies, but nobody famous and probably not enough for it to be considered "surging" in popularity. My other son's name, which is the more common of the two & definitely more popular according to Social Security stats, is not one that I hear very much at all for babies, but still very recognizable (Noel.)

So our 3 names haven't gotten noticeably more popular.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 9:03 AM on May. 21, 2013

• I didn't worry about how popular or unique his name was when I named him. I liked the name and it suited him. I still don't care how popular or unique his name is. It is his name.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 9:04 AM on May. 21, 2013

• I didn't care about "popularity" of names when I chose them and I certainly don't care about the "popularity" of the names now. I didn't spell them differently to be "unique" either.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:05 AM on May. 21, 2013

• Traditional name with a traditional spelling that's been altered so many times, people can't spell it unless we tell them. Had no idea how ignorant so many people were until we started having to give info to doctors and schools. His first pediatrician had 3 files for him with 3 different spellings - could never figure out why they could never find the paperwork.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:06 AM on May. 21, 2013

• But I see what you're saying (with Audrey, etc.)

Incidentally, Audrey was on our list for our daughter, as was Nora. Both are names you see/hear more for babies now. (I really didn't hear Nora much before 2000, which is when my husband first suggested it to me. Our baby was born in 2004, and by then I was hearing it, even more now.) Audrey is a classic name and has really "come back."

It was that way for my big sister who named HER baby Hannah, back in 1984. She also named her son Caleb. NEITHER name was popular in any sense, and many people acted like "Caleb" was a bizarre name, but both names have become intensely popular & recognized now.

And my best friend named her daughter Emma 17 years ago, only to see that name become hugely popular awhile later.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 9:08 AM on May. 21, 2013

• I picked names that I liked, but also happened to not be very popular, but a year or two after they were born they started getting more popular. It doesn't bother me though. With this baby that I am having now, we picked a name that is already in the top three, but we really like it so we are using it anyway.

ClassicalMom3

Answer by ClassicalMom3 at 9:09 AM on May. 21, 2013