Nursing school: University versus Tech School????

I attended a university and received a BA in communications. I would like to go back to school for nursing. My local university has a nursing school and I would be considered a "re-instated student" (I didn't graduate from this college but from a different one when I moved here. I finished my credits as a transient). My local tech school also offers nursing degrees, certifications and diploma programs. Is it mostly a matter of cost and programs offered??

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 9:16 AM on May. 21, 2013 in Money & Work

• As long as the program is accredited by the NCSBN it doesn't matter which route you go. I would however look into reviews etc with the programs and find out as much info as I can before choosing.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:25 AM on May. 21, 2013

• yes they both have ncsbn accreditations
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 9:30 AM on May. 21, 2013

• You really need to check out the need in your area. I can tell you the '' nursing shortage" is a myth and many schools are profiting off it. Many employers want BSN prepared nurses. Also depending on your area, you could only see .50 to a 1.00 more on the hour for a BSN vs ADN..

What do you want to do with your nursing degree will help you decide if you want a BSN or ADN, while both are RN's after passing the same boards, the opportunities can be very different. If cost is an issue, you can do ADN and bridge to a RN to BSN.

Either way, enjoy the journey, it is tough, requires long hours and a very flexible schedule :) And that is just for school.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:44 AM on May. 21, 2013

• I would imagine that the tech school would cost less. Have you looked into the requirements to get into either program? What courses/classes are required of each? Are there any core classes you need to take before entering the programs?
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 9:44 AM on May. 21, 2013

• check out allnurses.com if you haven't already. It is similar to this but for nurses and nursing students :)
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:45 AM on May. 21, 2013

• I agree with midnight mama. At my hospital we are hiring NO nurses fresh out of school. You have to have a least a one year internship under your belt. Of course, we're a huge hospital in the Chicagoland area and we get 3/4 of the traumas that come in but even for other specialties, we don't hire right out of school.

I read somewhere recently that upwards of 40% of new nursing graduates are having a hard time finding work
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 9:53 AM on May. 21, 2013

• I read somewhere recently that upwards of 40% of new nursing graduates are having a hard time finding work
    *******

CRAP...my daughter just switched to nursing, she was afraid she wouldn't find much with the psychology degree she was SO set on getting
    *sigh*
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:57 AM on May. 21, 2013

• * I will say though, that our family friend just got hired RIGHT out of school at a hospital here so...I guess there is hope
    we are in New Mexico, maybe it has to do with where you are?
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:00 AM on May. 21, 2013

• I know in my area a nurse with a BSN makes considerably more than one with an ADN, so I would go the university route - but it will take longer. And it depends on your eventual career goals.

Answer by missanc at 10:01 AM on May. 21, 2013

• I am going to a community college now for my ADN but a local hospital here pays to send ADN nurses back to school to get their BSN and it's paid for but you have to go to their university. that's my plan, for now
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:03 AM on May. 21, 2013