Help me understand the news report

MOORE, Okla. (AP) - Search-and-rescue crews worked through the night after a monstrous tornado barreled through the Oklahoma City suburbs, demolishing an elementary school and reducing homes to piles of splintered wood. At least 24 people were killed, including at least seven children, and those numbers were expected to climb.

As the sun rose over the shattered community of Moore, the state medical examiner's office cut the estimated death toll by more than half.

Spokeswoman Amy Elliot said she believes some victims were counted twice in the early chaos of the storm. Downed communication lines and problems sharing information with officers exacerbated the problem, she said.

Authorities initially said as many as 51 people were dead, including 20 children.

So does this mean the 51 is no longer right?  Same with the 20 killed children? I am so confused! I am hoping for the lower numbers.

LostSoul88

Asked by LostSoul88 at 10:20 AM on May. 21, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• last night the big stations were saying it was gonna hit 90, but only 50 were confirmed. now they are saying 24 b/c thats how many bodies have been moved to the medical examiner's office. the local stations are trying really hard to keep from saying any definite numbers cause they know so many are still trying to contact loved ones. they would only say 7 children who drowned at the school and the few actually confirmed.

living here the 50-90 number was just far too high. as destructive as tornadoes are, especially this one, they dont usually kill that many ppl here b/c we've got such a good warning system in place. the ppl in Moore had about 16 mins (if they were watching the news) to take shelter.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:17 AM on May. 21, 2013

• There are confirmed 24 dead as of this time. The numbers last night were incorrect because there was much confusion in the early stages of clean up and rescue. This is what happens when the media starts poking around right after a major disaster... I wish they'd let people do their jobs and let clean up and rescue workers release numbers as they are ready instead of hounding people for numbers of dead and injured right from the start.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:28 AM on May. 21, 2013

• I think they are trying to go back to the number confirmed by the medical examiner and the number will likely rise as the recovery efforts progress. This is just one of the problems with all of the media outlets trying to be the first to report something. We see it over and over again with tragic events like this. Misreporting spreads like a plague within the media.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:30 AM on May. 21, 2013

• sorry, 9 have been confirmed children. so the 20 number is wrong...for now, hopefully it stops at 9.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:47 AM on May. 21, 2013

• I am so hoping it stays low... especially with the number of children.... I broke down crying at work after reading the first news report about 20 plus children dead.
    LostSoul88

Comment by LostSoul88 (original poster) at 10:29 AM on May. 21, 2013