How do I help my kindergartener advance her reading level from a 3 to a 5/6?

My kindergartener is on a reading level 3 and they want the kids to be at a 5/6 before leaving kindergarten or they aren't aloud to go to 1st grade. At a reading level 3 she is reading books on her own that aren't assigned to her that she picked out at the library. I am very frusturated that I was not spoken to about this until now and there are only 3 weeks left of school. I am not sure how she is supossed to advance that much in such little time. She knows that she has to improve and she is trying super hard and we read 45 minutes every day. Any suggestions?

bshields07

Asked by bshields07 at 12:41 PM on May. 21, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Just read! When you finish a book, have her tell you what it was about to help her comprehension. If she can't tell you about the whole book, then stop every couple pages and have her tell you what is going on in the story. You read to her as well as having her read out loud to you.
    Is there a specific area she is having trouble with? Comprehension vs fluency?

Answer by missanc at 12:45 PM on May. 21, 2013

• Do you have descriptions of the levels? I mean, do you know what a child at level three should be able to read and comprehend, versus a child at level five or six? I'd be setting up a conference with the teacher and maybe the principal, especially since you have so little time, to map out exactly what you can do. I'd also be wanting to know why you weren't told about this before.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:48 PM on May. 21, 2013

• She understands the books and can tell you the whole story whether she has read it or it was read to her. She is slower at reading because she has to sound out the bigger words that she doesn't recognize. She has a large number of site words she knows. I haven't gotten very good feedback from her literacy or homeroom teachers as far as what she needs to work on. Their comments are praising her for how well she is doing, yet she is not where they want her to be.
    bshields07

Comment by bshields07 (original poster) at 12:51 PM on May. 21, 2013

• There are no descriptions I have ever seen or been given. The kids have a communication book that goes home to the parents and teachers everyday. I have written multiple comments in there and asking what it is she needs to work on. I don't feel I am getting much feedback other than keep working hard!
    bshields07

Comment by bshields07 (original poster) at 12:53 PM on May. 21, 2013

• It would help a ton if you can find out which reading level they follow. It sounds like they use DRA levels maybe??? Once you know what system they are using it will be a lot easier to find books at the library that level to practice.

Google/search for DRA levels - here a re a couple that might help you look at the levels and get an idea where she is and where she needs to be and the scholastic site might help find books to get to your goal.. Hope that helps you!

http://www.readinga-z.com/correlation-chart.php

http://www.scholastic.com/bookwizard/
    joisie1978

Answer by joisie1978 at 1:07 PM on May. 21, 2013

• I would set up a conference and find out what is needed. Most schools I have associated with will send home Summer Work which is basically reading and a refresh for the math skills they already have learned.
    I would be very curious what else they want her to be able to do before 1st grade.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:29 PM on May. 21, 2013

• It sounds like it is time for a visit to the Principal's office! If you aren't getting feedback then I would keep asking until I was satisfied with the information. Ask a 1st grade teacher, another parent, definitely the Principal
    MChildressDem

Answer by MChildressDem at 11:55 PM on May. 23, 2013