Is nap time and bed time a hassell?

My 19 month old has just started giving me problems when it comes to nap or bed time. He has to have his sippy and a movie. Sometimes that don't even work.

Femommy

Asked by Femommy at 1:38 PM on May. 21, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Give him a drink and lay him down and tell him it is time to rest and that is it.
    My grandbaby does this but not with me because I insisted from the beginning that she lay down. I would sit and rub her back and then leave. If he got up she was escorted right back. I would never let a toddler dictate the rules to me.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:42 PM on May. 21, 2013

• Spend some time reading to him instead of a movie. The movie can be too stimulating. Be clear it is bed/nap time and stay calm. Make sure he really needs the nap too. Some kids give it up this early if it interferes with bedtime....being up too late. But I would think he still needs the nap. Or if he has been taking two maybe it is time to switch to one nap per day. GL
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 2:45 PM on May. 21, 2013

• What is this nap thing you speak of???? God I miss those days..... all of my kids stopped taking naps around 1 or 1 1/2... ornery lil ones that they are... lol.... but bedtime is a bit of trial at this point, generally only w/ my boys. My oldest dd, went to bed w/ no problems, both my ds's had colic & never wanted to sleep period.... argh... it was a maddening few yrs... even now @ 9 & almost 5 they both give me problems.... my youngest is pretty good about going to bed, off & on she'll go on a "there's monsters" kick & be afraid, or she'll go for awhile waking up & wanting something to drink, but other than that, she's pretty good. They all have tv's though, & get to watch disney w/ the volume off, & my youngest still has to have a cuppy at bedtime, though I finally broke my nearly 5 y/o of that habit....
    HappyEndings

Answer by HappyEndings at 2:57 PM on May. 21, 2013

• No. My kids went through a stage where they protested, but I stuck to the routine and they finally gave up. My 2 yo goes down without so much as a peep for both naptime and bedtime. My 4 yo doesn't take naps anymore and he fusses a little at bedtime but nothing big. My 12, 13 and 15 yo's all go to bed with no problems, except sometimes they ask to stay up later.
    I agree that a movie may be too much stimulation. Some quiet music and books would be a much better choice to get him to wind down.

Answer by missanc at 3:13 PM on May. 21, 2013

• My daughter has alternated between going to bed easily and fighting every step of the way, but it has helped to keep the routine consistent no matter what she does. Inhaler for asthma, daily multivitamin, hug and kiss for everybody, bedtime cracker--she firmly believes that graham crackers have the power to make her fall asleep, and she won't eat them at any other time of the day for fear of drifting off. Teeth brushed, story read, one or two drinks, thenit's on with the night-light and the CD she falls asleep to every night, and out she goes.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:15 PM on May. 21, 2013

• sometimes. with my daughter, I had to sit in the room with her until she fell asleep right up until she was 3 with my son, I have to hold him to get him to sleep, which is fine, I like our snuggle time (he's 3)
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 4:17 PM on May. 21, 2013