Does your child have X amount of homework?

My daughter is only in 1st grade and she has one math sheet each night, read two books one which she has to answer three or four questions, and study spelling (16-24 words) with an activity. This is a lot for her and doesn't even have time to do anything other then eat, shower, and bed when she is done. He brother is in 4th and he only has read for 20 mins and a math sheet.

Femommy

Asked by Femommy at 1:41 PM on May. 21, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• IMO that is excessive. Is she in a special school?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:43 PM on May. 21, 2013

• My oldest is in Kindergarten. Sh's supposed to read 15 min a night and has to complete at least 3 activities (usually writing) a week.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 1:43 PM on May. 21, 2013

• Not in a special school. She goes to a public school.
    Femommy

Comment by Femommy (original poster) at 1:53 PM on May. 21, 2013

• It doesn't sound like a lot to me.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:55 PM on May. 21, 2013

• Has it been this way all year? Have you talked to her teacher about it?
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 1:58 PM on May. 21, 2013

• she has to read 2 books every night or 2 books a week?
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 2:08 PM on May. 21, 2013

• My kids always had a lot of homework in elementary. It's a lot of work for some to learn to read. I have three kids who are very close in age and I remember when they were in second and first grade spending 3- 4 hours a night on homwork.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 2:08 PM on May. 21, 2013

• Yes all year, I have and she knows it's a lot. They do a lot in school too.
    Femommy

Comment by Femommy (original poster) at 2:10 PM on May. 21, 2013

• DD used to have a book report due every week for the whole second semester when she was in 2nd or 3rd grade.... Now that she's a freshman she's got a mountain of h.w. every night.... DS had homework every night but Fri. when he was in K, & it was generally reading, spelling, & math.... I think it was pretty much the same every year since, up until this yr.. (3rd grade) he lucked out & has been having a lot of h.w. free nights, & when he does have h.w. it's usually a math paper, reading, & spelling....
    HappyEndings

Answer by HappyEndings at 2:33 PM on May. 21, 2013

• That's WAY too much!! Guideline for homework is 10 minutes of homework per day per grade and which is endorsed by the National Education Association& National PTA. I raised holy hell when my 3rd grader was consistently coming home with 30 minutes plus 20 minutes of reading.... I said pick one... she is NOT going over the recommended 30 minutes as stated in the schools handbook. I asked the teacher to explain to her why the hand book said one thing yet the teacher was telling her to do another. In other words please explain why she was being told to break the rules. Yeah... teacher didn't have an answer to that one... problem solved!! LOL
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 3:42 PM on May. 21, 2013