Just a friendly reminder to NOT wake up your pets by getting in their face

My oldest son has developmental delay & we have told him over & over to not get in their face when they are sleeping. Well, you guessed it, it happened, the dog snapped at him. Luckily it's not a serious bite, but I know it could've been much worse. I told him it can't happen again or she would have to be put to sleep. (This may sound mean, but I need him to realize how serious this is) Have you ever had to deal with something like this?

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 4:44 PM on May. 21, 2013 in Pets

• thats such a hard thing to do and deal with.. im sorry,,, we have 3 cats and my 5-1/2 year old want to pick them up, carry them around, poke at them.. hard to get them to realize its not nice
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 9:31 PM on May. 21, 2013

• I wouldn't put my dog down if my kid was provoking it, my son has developmental delays too, and still, I wouldn't blame the dog.
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 4:46 PM on May. 21, 2013

• It may not be up to you, Josiesmommy, if a doctor has to get involved. All bites are reported, even accidental ones. My ex was playing with his great Dane years ago and got his earlobe nearly torn off, and although he admitted that he and the dog were roughhousing and he didn't blame the dog at all, it still went down on record because he had to get his ear glued back together at the hospital. If a dog gets more than one bite on its record, varying by the laws of state and city, it sometimes has to be put down.

Mrsmom, I hope your son is okay.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:50 PM on May. 21, 2013

• Oh, I understand. I wasn't in any way bashing you. My oldest dog is snappy and I won't let my son mess with her. I told him "no no Bama bites" and so far he's left her alone. Idk if something like that would work for your son. Mine also has developmental delays so I know how challenging that can be, GL!
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 5:06 PM on May. 21, 2013

• I have a sweetie of dog who sometimes will snarl if she is startled when in a deep sleep. Fortunately, she's never tangled with the toddler. I would be heart -broken if anything ever happened. DD has a healthy respect for her and will ask her to move rather than push by her at night. DD's first time outs were all "how to treat the dog properly" related, and it has certainly stuck with her. You just never know , though.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 9:16 PM on May. 21, 2013

• that is one of the most asinine laws I've ever heard of. people are so stupid. That's why I spend most my time with my animals...
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 4:52 PM on May. 21, 2013

• My brother did that when we were little - he put his face in our dog's face and pulled her ear and she nipped, half asleep, and accidentally caught his face. It wasn't very bad, he got a stitch or two - he was fine and after quarantine she was, too (they do that for all reported bites). She wasn't a mean dog (this was 20 years ago), he just took her by surprise and she didn't realize his face was so close, you know? So I understand - sometimes accidents happen. I just hope your son realizes that it can't happen again so that you don't have to worry about what could happen if it does - both for him and for her. I've always taught my son (he's five) that he can't antagonize our dog because if she bites she'll have to be put down. It's really the only way to make them understand how serious it is, that it's not just about her biting, but what can happen to the DOGS if they push dogs to that kind of behavior.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 6:01 PM on May. 21, 2013

• Our other dog was like this with my son. He was not mean just did not like to be disturbed when sleeping, was not a morning dog and my son figured it out after a few nips.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 6:34 PM on May. 21, 2013

• Rizzo is a mean 'ol dog
    He lives in the bedroom and baby has the rest of the house

I have known since feb of last year if he bites baby he may not make it to the pound :(
    But the cat bitch slapping is ok?

I just keep baby and dog separated. Tell dog to be nice and baby too
    Beauregard has gotten better and learned to "love" rizzo and we watch for the laid back ears when they do interact
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 6:52 PM on May. 21, 2013

• We just adopted a pup this weekend and I have been constantly reminding the kids to leave her be while she is sleeping. So glad your DS is ok.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 9:06 PM on May. 21, 2013