Do you or did you feel cut off from the rest of the world

because you were breast feeding and you were pretty much baby's sole care provider, so when you were at dinners or family gatherings, did you feel cut off?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:58 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• There is no reason to feel cut off from the rest of the world. If you feel comfortable nursing in front of your family then do it. If it make them uncomfortable then that is their problem. You should never feel cut off from the world.
    coala

Answer by coala at 4:01 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Yes, a lot of the time I felt exactly like that. But I tried to remember that breastfeeding was a special thing that only I could do for my baby. And that it was our special time to bond and mother and baby. Dont worry your baby will be weaned before you know it and you will be back in the swing of things.

Until then, sit back and enjoy. The time goes SOOOO quickly. I promise, I have been there twice!
    Anonymous

• No I never felt cut off. Everyone knew I breastfed and if I had to feed the baby then they made accomadations for me, or understood when I had to breastfeed. It isnt anything gross or unnatural. You can breastfeed and be discreet about it without having to leave the room or feel cut off.

Answer by gemgem at 4:01 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Yup.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 4:04 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Yes. I cant go any where with out her unless I want to give her formula which I do but I only allow two bottles a day. One for her big sister to feed her and one for daddy to feed her so that does not leave a one for mommy to go out and grandma to feed her.
    lovemybabys1106

Answer by lovemybabys1106 at 4:24 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• It doesn't take that long for a baby to get its belly full. Then you can hand him off for someone else to burp and change. No need to feel cut off from all the action.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:30 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• sort of. It gets easier with time. The hard thing was it always seemed that my baby always wanted to eat right when we would sit down to the table to eat whenever we'd eat at my parents or my in-laws. And since she would eat for 30 min to an hour each feeding I felt like I missed out on a lot.

I prefer to leave the room though for the most part (at least at my parents and the in-laws). If people come in to the room while I'm nursing I don't mind.
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 4:48 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• no way... i have a portable pump... takes batteries, and if could have bought the car adaptor, but i would always run out to pump, and then pass him off onto who ever wanted to feed him... usually one of the grandmas or his daddy. If you are feeling this way, see about getting a pump, if you dont already have one.. when our son was a newborn til about 4 months i got up in the middle of the night to pump. It helped everyone ... i also built up a few bags for the freezer, and i just gave him the last one when he had his cold last month..
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 6:10 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Sort of, but I sure did enjoy it.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 7:37 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Absolutely not! I was encouraged at every function to come and join everyone if I tried to walk away. If you are feeling left out try this ... start an interesting story and then say excuse me I must feed my LO. People will follow or ask you to get LO and stay. Once you do this you are usually good for the remainder of your breastfeeding days. Stay and enjoy the stories and visiting that occurs at family gatherings. If you are matter of fact about it most everyone else will fall in line. It is no big deal to feed baby so don't make it one. Good Luck!

Anonymous