Is it safe to say if you can't afford at least $800 a month in rent for a bigger house/apartment maybe you shouldn't have any more kids?

$800 is not a lot of money at all........

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:36 PM on May. 21, 2013 in Money & Work

• Are you saying paying $800 a month total rent for a place, or adding $800 to rent - meaning finding a 3/2 for $800 a month, or paying $500 for a 2/2 and not being able to afford $1300 for a 3/2?

If it's the first...well, I'm not in a position to tell anyone what they should do, but if it were me, no, I would not have more kids. But if it's the second, I don't think it's fair to say they shouldn't have more kids. There could be cheaper places that they just have to find, or move outside the city, or who knows? Rent prices can be outrageous sometimes - I know a couple of years ago when I was looking for a place to rent, one guy wanted $1500 for a 1/1, when the 3/2 next door (owned by someone else) was only $700.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 5:43 PM on May. 21, 2013

• Depends on where you are. Our fist home in Illinois was a little 3 bedroom and our mortgage was less than $600 a month. Here, you couldn't get a small apartment for that.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:39 PM on May. 21, 2013

• what kid costs $800 a month to take care of? and $800 more in rent...gees thats more than my house payment! my two kids probably take up about $200 a month, if that. it all depends on the area.

and for some ppl, like myself...$800 is a lot of money.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 5:44 PM on May. 21, 2013

• $800/mo is a mortgage on a 4 bedroom here, maybe you need to move instead of worrying about everyone else, OP
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:52 PM on May. 21, 2013

• Depends way too much on where you live. I couldn't get a good apartment for us with only $800 a month in rent where we are now, but I have priced wonderful houses in great neighborhoods in Iowa for $500 a month.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 5:51 PM on May. 21, 2013

• Yeah, It depends on where you live. Where we are we're paying just over $400 for a three bedroom house with an extra sitting room and storage room (neither room would really work as a bedroom due to size and layout). Now, we've paid around $750 in another city for a smaller three bedroom (it did have an extra bathroom, but all the rooms (bedrooms, kitchen, etc) were significantly smaller), and we had a two bedroom townhouse/apartment in yet another city for about the same price we're paying now (it had an extra bathroom, too). Anything more than, say 6 or 7 hundred around here would sound ridiculous or would be "extravagant."

So I just think it depends on what the cost of living is where someone is.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:51 PM on May. 21, 2013

• No.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 5:40 PM on May. 21, 2013

• $800 a month total not more
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:57 PM on May. 21, 2013

• and I don't need to move I like living in a nice area and not in the middle of nowhere! I guess if you lived in the middle of nowhere with nothing around and you did farm work or something for a living it would work
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:59 PM on May. 21, 2013

• I pay over $900 a month for a 2 bed room apt. But, like the others said, it really depends on where you live. I wish I lived in one of those $400 a month areas.

Oh and since I'm PMSing, I'm going to add that questions like this seem so petty. Obviously you're trying to justify your smugness regarding someone else. This is like the equivalent of FB "vaguebooking".
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 6:06 PM on May. 21, 2013