I'm 10 weeks and my weight fluctuates so much I don't know whether or not I'm gaining too much :(

I was 148 when I got pregnant and when I went to the doctor last at 8 weeks I was 151. Well now the scale is varying anywhere between 148 and 154!!!! So I have either stayed the same weight or gained SIX pounds already. I'm really wigging out. I don't want to be unhealthy and my doctor said I should only gain 20 pounds total. Well if I've already gained 6 pounds and I'm not even out of the first trimester then that is not good at all. Could I just be retaining a lot of water? I'm trying really hard to watch what I eat but it's hard...my doc has me doing the 6 small meals throughout the day but I feel like I'm starving by the time the day is over and lately I've been caving and getting chipotle. So I've been taking in about 2,000 calories a day...is that too much? I just feel so huge and scared that I'm going to be unhealthy during this pregnancy. I've been trying to walk an hour each night but it's so dang hot out and by the time the sun goes down I'm afraid to go out just my daughter and I and my fiance works late.

Please be nice :( I'm feeling really uncomfortable/vulnerable/flat out upset

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:57 PM on May. 21, 2013 in Pregnancy

• If you're seeing such big fluctuations, water probably has something to do with it.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 6:09 PM on May. 21, 2013

• Are you weighing yourself multiple times a day?
    Make sure that if you weigh yourself that it is right after you pee first thing in the morning and that's it for the day.

Instead of worrying of the little fluctuations, concentrate on eating small healthy meals 5-6 times a day. Try to not drink soda (especially the diet) and get plenty of water.

Doctors try to limit pregnancy weight gain, but sometimes it sets up unrealistic expectations. Not every one can gain only 20 lbs. And what are they going to do if you gain 21 or 31? Nothing.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 6:38 PM on May. 21, 2013

• Throw your scale away and focus on common sense and health - instead of "gravity". You are going to gain weight. Eat healthy, drink plenty of water and keep busy. Stay away from processed foods and keep veggies and fruits ready to eat... The baby will take what it needs from you. Make sure you take your vitamins and eat healthy. Everything will be fine.... Keep it posititve. Get bright accessories, loose dresses and have fun with it. You will show sooner with the second one.
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 7:56 PM on May. 21, 2013

• Weigh yourself at the same time everyday.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 9:28 PM on May. 21, 2013

• enough said
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 5:08 PM on May. 26, 2013