Does tragedy override respect?

They've been interviewing tornado survivors and playing them ad nauseum on tv. One that they seem to love replaying is a teacher who very defiantly looks into the camera to say she "did something teachers aren't supposed to do" (that's her choice of words) - she prayed out loud (to Jesus, of course) while huddled over students in the bathroom.

Then there's this little gem from Wolf Blitzer:

http://deadspin.com/wolf-blitzer-asks-atheist-tornado-survivor-if-she-than-509150402

Is there some unspoken rule that anyone who isn't a Christian should shut up and pretend they are in the aftermath of a tragedy?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 8:41 PM on May. 21, 2013 in Religious Debate

• Wow-she handled that situation VERY well. Good for her.
    Anonymous

• That reminds me of this:

Basically all those people that "thank god" are saying thank you for sparing me though others were killed.  When in reality, their benevolent god, who can obviously control the weather, would have never caused such devestation if he actually cared about humanity.  Of course, that's based on "God" existing at all. 

And, of course, reporters should not assume everyone believes in god. 

3libras

Answer by 3libras at 8:53 PM on May. 21, 2013

• If you read the comments under the CNN video, a few make a good point - everyone is talking about the woman who found her dog, and talking about "thank God she got her dog back". If "God" is responsible for saving that dog, isn't that essentially saying that dog is more important than all the people who died?
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 8:57 PM on May. 21, 2013

• You should not thank God for your blessings with out sharing them. We say a blessing every night but we also donate a good bit to feed the hungry and local food banks.

OP- no reporters should not assume. None should assume. But I agree she handles it well.
    Anonymous

• I try not to over think it because of the points made here already.. I sum it up to figure of speech when "thanking god" for this or that in a disaster or horrific event.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:00 PM on May. 21, 2013

• If "God" is responsible for saving that dog, isn't that essentially saying that dog is more important than all the people who died?

Exactly! Of course, they'll never admit that, generally speaking. And, if they remotely do, it'll be some crap like "they're time had come" or "they were called up to Jesus/Heaven".
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 9:00 PM on May. 21, 2013

• And, if they remotely do, it'll be some crap like "they're time had come" or "they were called up to Jesus/Heaven".

Or my favorite, "they are in a better place."

kmath

Answer by kmath at 9:02 PM on May. 21, 2013

• I guess before you interview people you should ask them their religious preference, hu.

Answer by louise2 at 9:04 PM on May. 21, 2013

• Eh, I've said this before and I'll say it again, in times of emergency, everyone tends to go back to their "roots" so to speak. It's all in how you were raised. I don't think anything of hearing anything anyone says in regards to their religion.... I just don't want to have to eat it, ya know......
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:11 PM on May. 21, 2013

• Absolutely agree with m-avi, people do what comes naturally in a stressful time.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 9:50 PM on May. 21, 2013