Open minded people....

Ok.. how do I word this, well I am bi sexual, my mom always raised me we are all different and special and to give no judgement to what people feel may be "different",,. fast forward, I am 34, have a 5 year old, our state was finally number 12 to pass gay marriage.. Yay.. last night I was showing my son the son "same love" which my son and I love, my husband protested that he was far to young to see girls kiss girls and boys kiss boys, so I said fine, ( we are working on compormise as parenting together is REALLY hard for us ) he asked for Katy Perry Fireworks which my son and I have watched many times on You tube, there's a part in there where a boy kisses a boy and again, husband got upset.. but my feeling is, this is normal life, shouldn't we raise him seeing all types of "normal"?? he can see men and women kiss, why is it wrong I dont care if he see's same sex couples kiss>> anyone?

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 9:57 PM on May. 21, 2013 in General Parenting

• Actually, the Bible isn't talking about homosexuality, if you look at the original language ;)

The word most often translated is pederasty, which refers to ritual sex (temple sex, which was common in those days), pedophilia (rape/enslavement of young boys), prostitution, and rape. Likewise, there is evidence of homosexual marriages within the Christian tradition : http://www.iheartchaos.com/post/22806986381/the-time-when-same-sex-marriage-was-a-christian-rite

bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:57 PM on May. 22, 2013

• It really doesn't bother me for my kids to see same sex relationships. I mean IMO no one should be slobbering on each other in public. ;0P but ya know... My kids have seen same sex couples holding hands walking downtown, they have seen the Katy Perry video you are speaking of and more... It is as you said, a part of life. It is a part of the world we live in and the world they have to grow up and function in. It really is better for them to grow up understanding families are created MANY different ways- same sex couples is just one of them.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:01 PM on May. 21, 2013

• I don't like my kids to see anyone totally making out, regardless of sex. Kissing wouldn't bother me, and I agree, they should know that a boy kissing a boy and a girl kissing a girl, and a boy kissing a girl is all normal.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:07 PM on May. 21, 2013

• I don't think most kids give adult relationships, same sex or otherwise, much of a second thought till society tells them to. My brother and his gay partner live together and they're raising a child, and although we don't see a whole lot of my family, my daughter has never asked me about it or said anything to indicate that she's even noticed. Over tim, the view all of our kids have of what is normal, unfortunately, gets narrower and narrower.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:06 PM on May. 21, 2013

• I don't think you should go out of your way, but at the same time you shouldn't avoid it either. You're right, it's a part of life, and you want him to know that it's normal. It's not something you have to protect him from, but at the same time you might not want to put too much emphasis on it or it might be counterproductive. Like, kids don't think that much about that kind of thing, but if you draw his attention to it too much it might make him think that there IS something different between homosexual and heterosexual relationships, if you get what I mean. I guess I'm trying to say that kids usually don't think that something is wrong or not normal unless they're given a reason to think it is, and sometimes drawing attention to it might trigger that in a way that just letting it be a normal part of life might not. If you get what I mean, lol. I'm totally all for equality and respect. (cont)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:15 PM on May. 21, 2013

• I don't know anything about these shows so I can't say, but really my kids weren't interested in shows with adults as the main focus when they were 5. Even now my DDs like shows about kids. Do you want him to see these shows more than he does? Isn't there more age appropriate ways you could talk to your son about different relationships people have.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 10:16 PM on May. 21, 2013

• gross old people??? well damn.......and you describe yourself as open minded! lol
    Anonymous

• At that age I don't think I'd make it a point to introduce it to him but if he asked I would not hesitate to explain. I'd rather just nonchalantly explain as the situation arises and brush it off as "no big deal" so he learns to see it that way as in just a normal part of life and therefore no reason to make it a deal, ya know? Just me.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 12:00 AM on May. 22, 2013

• Sounds like your husband is quite traditional, or maybe its just about your sons age, many people dont want any couple regardless of sexual orientation full on kissing in front of their kids, I guess there is a time and a place. Regardless I guess you and your husband have to try to find a way to get on the same page for your sons sake, you both may have to do some compromising.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 10:04 PM on May. 21, 2013

• LOL, im not talking making out, in the video's they were walking towards each other and just lip kissed, it was like 3 second lip kiss if that,. i wouldn't want him seeing gross "old people" make out either - Haha...
    maxsmom11807

Comment by maxsmom11807 (original poster) at 10:10 PM on May. 21, 2013