Age-appropriate chores for kids - good idea?

tasches

Asked by tasches at 12:14 AM on May. 22, 2013 in General Parenting

• I think it's a great ideal but there are some moms who will say it's "child abuse", lol
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 12:21 AM on May. 22, 2013

• lol PMS I was thinking the same thing!

I think it is great. My son does a lot the age appropriate ones already, it isn't an everyday thing yet, but I usually don't really have to ask him much yet(thankfully he is still in the "loves to help" phase).
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 12:44 AM on May. 22, 2013

• I wouldn't say it's child abuse and yes those are all things kids CAN do but I hope they're not suggesting that entire list should be daily/weekly responsibilities! That's a lot to expect a kid to keep up with lol. But yes, great ideas for a start.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 12:50 AM on May. 22, 2013

• Hell yeah, it's a good idea, otherwise you get kids who grow up thinking it's your job to wait on them hand and foot and pick up after them, and they're nightmares in the making for their future spouses and employers. My five-year-old doesn't slave her life away, but there's no reason she can't put her dirty clothes in the hamper, take her dishes to the sink, and pick up toys with some help and encouragement if the mess is really out of hand. She can sort the silverware into the drawer when I empty the dishwasher and clean up if she spills a drink or something. As she gets older, she'll take on more responsibilities, just like anybody else who's a part of the family.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:46 AM on May. 22, 2013

• I see that as a list of, overall, good tasks to engage kids in. Some of the tasks listed as being age appropriate for older ages have been things my own children have been able to attempt & master at a younger (preschool) age. There also are some practical tasks (like shoveling snow, stacking wood) that didn't make the list. My preschoolers have been keen to do that, as well as bringing in firewood (from the stack), gathering kindling, and planting seeds & seedlings in the garden. Also, my kids are able to do things like wash the walls in areas that end up with lots of fingerprints & smudges, like switchplates, door knobs, door jambs. And help carry in groceries.

Kids can do the things on the list. However, I don't see the point of making these things "chores" & I think it's possible to cultivate an atmosphere of willing cooperation, or one of contributing to family life/function out of a desire to contribute. That's my goal.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 2:05 PM on May. 22, 2013

• I think its a good idea for kids to have things they are responsible for sure, but I don't agree with the some of the age appropriations in the above list though.

Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 5:13 AM on May. 22, 2013

• Everyone should do their own share. The key is to not expect perfection. :p

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:59 AM on May. 22, 2013

• I must get on the ball my son rarely helps with any of his age appropriate chores. :(
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 6:57 AM on May. 22, 2013

• Yes, I think they are a great idea. Teaching responsibility young. DD who is 2 and half is expected to pick up the toys at the end of the night, put the books away, and she has to put her shoes in the shoe bin. She is expected to put her dirty clothes in the hamper, and she makes her bed. I haven't tried unloading the dishwasher (most of our plates/bowls are ceramic or glass). Haven't tried sweeping yet, but maybe we can try it. I also do not fix her work, she doesn't ever make her perfectly, but I don't fix it (even when she asks me to). That is just teaching her that Mommy will walk behind her to clean up her mistakes. I show her how to do it, and then she does it.

We have started getting DS into it by helping pick up toys. He is 17 months, so not fully there yet, but he does get excited about helping. He also throws his own diapers away.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 8:03 AM on May. 22, 2013

• Chores are a good thing. From the time my kids could walk they were taught to pick up after themselves. I would hear my friends complain about toys all over and would be grateful my kids even at 1 could pick up after themselves. I did have to pick up big items but if a child can drag something out they can put it back. All of my kids but the 2 month old have chores. They are responsible for their bedrooms, bathrooms, play rooms and other tasks. They do chores right after school some of my kids get up early and do it before school so they don't have to worry about it. I am raising future adults so as a parent my job is to teach them how to care for themselves and not expect others to do everything for them.  They are not perfect and sometimes I have to clean something again but the point is to teach them responsibility they will get better at tasks as they get older. 

healthykidsmom

Answer by healthykidsmom at 10:57 AM on May. 22, 2013