Allergens in rice cereal maybe from cross contamination?

We've been introducing rice cereal to our 6 month old daughter to start and she's had a strange gastric reaction both times of bloating, gas and discomfort with some vomiting. Our oldest had food allergies,I've got food allergies and my husband has a family history of them so I know what they usually look like but I can't figure out what in this cereal could be the problem. It's the Beechnut cereal,it only has two ingredients: ground rice and sunflower lecithin. I know that sunflower seeds can be an allergen mostly because DH's cousin has one but nuts and seeds allergies tend to look more severe.
I know they make other kinds of cereals including wheat,do you think it could be a cross contamination issue? Because I've seen this panel of symptoms more with those kind of allergies and it's a very common allergy in my husband's family.

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 12:37 AM on May. 22, 2013 in General Parenting

• It could be very possible if they are processed in the same facility that some wheat could get into the other.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 7:56 AM on May. 22, 2013

• It could be cross contamination. Any time they're processed in the same facility, that's a huge possibility.

Another thought is that even though nut and seed allergies usually look more severe - each case is different. Her allergy might be very mild, or there might be something else going on that makes her symptoms different. It also could be a sensitivity rather than an allergy.

Regardless of cross contamination, allergy, whatever - I'd probably see the doctor. It could also be something totally different, not an allergy or anything, so I'd want to talk to the doctor and find out what I should do next.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:15 AM on May. 22, 2013

• I would skip rice cereal it isn't necessary and really isn't any better than feeding the baby sugar. None of my kids ever had rice cereal and did well eating vegetables as their first foods. My daughter does have a wheat allergy but her birth mother also had the same allergy she had a mild reaction then it got worse. I would speak to your doctor.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on May. 22, 2013

• We went to rice cereal because she had a bad reaction to applesauce so cereal is easier to figure out allergens then fruits and vegetables since I've got allergies to some of both.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 11:25 AM on May. 22, 2013