In between baths

How do you keep your child's hair clean in between baths? My kids both have terrible eczema and can only bathe every 3 days or they break out like crazy. This is fine for my son as he isn't usually all that dirty after daycare, however my daughter is a different story. She comes home with hair matted with sweat, sunscreen, and dirt....but I can't bathe her every day. What are some suggestions to fix this on the days they don't bathe?

I have noticed that doing her hair in styles with lots of little pony tails seems to help with the whole matted hair aspect, as she normally doesn't get sunscreen in it, or soak it with sweat.

AF4life

Asked by AF4life at 8:18 AM on May. 22, 2013 in General Parenting

• You can bathe them daily in warm not hot water. I would take them to a dermatologist if the eczema is that bad. There is an oral medication they can take to get it under control and the they can get atarax to keep it under control. My dermatologist recommend CeraVe for my child's eczema. Use the cream instead of the lotion. My oldest suffers from severe eczema so I know where you are coming from. Just keep your daughter's bath short and sweet no longer than necessary to get her clean. Use Cetaphil soap and moisturize after she gets out.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:32 AM on May. 22, 2013

• Can you lean her over the tub or sink and only wash her hair? Maybe a sponge bath with cool water? Dry shampoo sounds like a good idea.
    ThatBoysMom

Answer by ThatBoysMom at 9:17 AM on May. 22, 2013

• Have you tried dry shampoo
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 8:56 AM on May. 22, 2013

• I sympathize as my daughter is the same way and we have seen a dermatologist about it and use multiple things as others have suggested, but still need to only bathe every other day. What I do is have her sit in the tub and I use the hand held shower thing to wash just her hair in between. Yes a little water gets on her, but it does not bother her and I use just slightly warm water to do the hair washing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on May. 22, 2013

• There are dry shampoos that work fairly well.
    When I was young we used corn starch. You get it down to the scalp and allow the oil to be absorbed. Then you brush it out. I am not sure about matting, though I would think brushing it out would be important. I am also not sure how it woulr work with sunscreen.

Can your doctor not suggest something?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:44 AM on May. 22, 2013

• Sometimes I lay my kids on the kitchen counter with their head in the sink and use the sprayer to wash their hair. My almost 3 yo and I call it beauty parlor and she loves it!

Answer by missanc at 1:00 PM on May. 22, 2013

• my son has terrible eczema as well. I only bathe him in aveeno for babies. he gets bathed daily and we have his eczema under control. he has to take luke warm baths but he gets one EVERY DAY, sometimes more if needed
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 2:00 PM on May. 22, 2013

• You can bath her, just not with normal soap and shampoo, right? Ivory is supose to be ok for people with eczema. or jus let her soak in the tub. Clean her hair with just water. That will get her some what clean.

Answer by louise2 at 2:03 PM on May. 22, 2013

• Yes- wash her hair in the sink!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:34 PM on May. 22, 2013

• I might have to try in the sink. She is being treated for it, and we use sensitive soaps, but derm isn't an option right now because there is only 1 dermatologist and she alternates between our base and the base up north of us. Kids only get referred to her for most serious things. I have tried the hand held shower thing, but she screams like she is being murdered. I don't ever use hot water, it is luke warm. We already do everything that has been suggested by the pediatricians, but right now her arms are so bad they are about to crack.
    AF4life

Comment by AF4life (original poster) at 8:11 PM on May. 22, 2013