Is 14 too young for a job???

DD is going to be 15 the 1st wk of July..... she asked me yesterday... "So... what am I gonna do about a car, when I turn 16??" I told her, she'd do what the majority of other kids do... work & save...

Now she wants to get a job, which is good, don't get me wrong... it'll teach her to be responsible, & about saving vs. spending $$... but I'm wondering how likely it is that she'll find something at her age... Do stores/ restaurants actually hire kids at 15?

I'm trying to get her to understand that even if she gets a job, she's involved in a lot at school, & thinking it may be a bit much for her to juggle school, work, & her extra activities... besides the fact that I want her to get to enjoy her teen years & not get bogged down w/ too many responsibilities too early...

I'm torn.... guess the main question is, Is she too young to have an actual job right now?

I also work one day a week, & fill in when needed & she is my only babysitter, we depend on the extra $$ I bring in, however little it is. W/ a fam. of 6, every little bit helps, so I don't want to have to quit my job, just so she can work to save up for a car either. That is her only chore at home, is to babysit, & in exchange we pay for things she wants to do, & little things she wants from the store....

HappyEndings

Asked by HappyEndings at 10:00 AM on May. 22, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• Yes thy will but you have to obtain a work permit from the school first.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 10:01 AM on May. 22, 2013

• Jobs are pretty scarce unless she wants to mow lawns or that type of thing.
    She could also baby sit for a family through the summer if she is old enough.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:04 AM on May. 22, 2013

• I would have her wait, if she is involved in extra curricular's, when will she have time for either of them? She will either quit all her extra curricular's for the job, or get fired from the job because of all the EC's. I think babysitting on the weekend for a couple bucks would be a better option.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 10:08 AM on May. 22, 2013

• No, most places will not hire before 16. But, she could try babysitting.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 10:12 AM on May. 22, 2013

• I agree, a babysitting job would be better. If not babysitting, she could try mowing lawns - or if you have a public pool, or some kind of swimming option, maybe she could get a job as a lifeguard. She'd need CPR training and a little bit of other skills training, but that could be pretty lucrative for her and wouldn't interfere with school and other things.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 10:12 AM on May. 22, 2013

• May want to check state labor laws. In my state its a no go under 16 and no permits required after
    But may begin sitting at 12? Red Cross even has a class to train sitters and can be completed online
    Lawn service, pet sitting/ walking may also be an option
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:14 AM on May. 22, 2013

• Something you can also think about is setting up an ebay account (or other web selling site) and letting her sell things on there that she no longer uses or has outgrown. Some of the teen clothes go for a good amount of money. She can keep an eye out at yard sales for deals that she can resale. This is something she can do at anytime and at the same time it is helping her to clear out her room. I know people may think that 14/15 is young to be selling on ebay but they are much more computer savy then alot of adults and have a handle on how much their things cost.

It's good that she's thinking about when she turns 16 and wanting a car and if she's willing to work to earn the money for one I'd encourage her. She may decide that some of the extra activities she no longer wants to do which is fine. My kids all worked in High School and still managed to enjoy band, school plays, soccer, etc. It helped to give them a work ethic.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 10:32 AM on May. 22, 2013

• We did not want our children working as long as they were in high school, so they didn't. Our children also did not have their own cars when they turned 16. I think that there is way too much pressure on everyone to be like the masses and have to have it all right now. Adulthood lasts a very long time, and children need to be children and enjoy the experience. That means that parents carry most of the responsibility, but that does not mean that we have to provide cars, insurance, cell phones, and all the other latest electronic gadgets. Our children have all turned out well, have a good work ethic, but they also have the memory of having enjoyed their growing up years.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:58 AM on May. 22, 2013

• Where I live, you have to be 16.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 11:06 AM on May. 22, 2013

• How about starting her own "gopher" business? Running errands,doing chores,for people in your town? I know of a girl that was a mommy's helper. She tagged along with moms and watched over the kids as the moms shopped,went to the salon etc.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:33 AM on May. 22, 2013