Epidural vs. natural

ok im 30 weeks and 3 days pregnant and I've already discussed with my husband about getting and epidural when i'm having the baby (this is our first) and my doctor even said that he recommended that i get one.I told my mother-in law about my intentions and was bashed by saying that I would be a bad mother for doing that because it could hurt the baby,mind you she had all 3 of her kids natural.Is their really any dangers on getting an epidural?

alaina_20

Asked by alaina_20 at 4:12 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i dont think so i had one with my daughter and she is now 5 and just fine
    Anonymous

• i had an epidural with mine and he is a very healthy active little boy.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 4:16 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• nope. your baby will be fine :) and you will enjoy your l&d more
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 4:17 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Yes if you do your research there are some dangers to getting an epidural. When I had my daughter I got an epidural and I was bashed by many people for it but it should be your decision. There should be no problem with getting an epidural as long as the person doing it knows what they are doing.
    leemarie18

Answer by leemarie18 at 4:17 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• from what i was told the epidural takes alot longer to reach the baby, so if you have it later in the labor you have less of a chance of it getting to the baby. iv narcotics are the ones that reach the baby the fastest. but either way its not gonna hurt the baby, it just makes them a little groggy and possibly less likely to nurse right away, but it never did anything to my son. good luck! =)
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 4:18 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Let me start by saying, i have two kids... one born with and epi and the other natural. You are NOT a bad mother by going for the epidural. you are just SMART :-) If i remember right, there is a greater risk of long term effects on you rather than the baby. Ultimately, the decision is yours and yours alone. Dont let the MIL influence your decision.
    xburtonchickx

Answer by xburtonchickx at 4:20 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• there are a few risks but i think those risks are mainly for you not so much for baby. if you want the epi then only you can make that choice dont let any one put you down because you want to get one. my advice is go as long as you can with out it you might be surprised at how far you can make it.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 4:21 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I think with an epidural, that the risk is greater for you than for your child. The important thing about this question, though, is that your mother in law is trying to control things. Give her an inch and she'll take a mile. Don't let her make you second-guess yourself. You're having this baby with your husband, not her. Don't allow her to think it's her decision to make.

imacafemom

Answer by imacafemom at 4:26 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I have had two epidurals and my girls are both perfectly fine. They were alert and had little personalities in the hospital room. One a questioning, fiesty little thing, the other was a chipper little thing without a care in the world. at 6 and 4 i still see those same personalities that i saw in them the moment they were born and laid on my chest.
    That said there are some risks to you and the baby, I suggest doing your own research and weight the risks vs benefits on your own.

lastly don't let anyone tell you that your birth experience is any less perfect or wonderful because you di or did not get pain killers.
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 4:30 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• There are risks to the epidural and no need for one in a healthy labor. While the choice is yours, anyone who says there aren't any risks is naive.

http://www.healing-arts.org/mehl-madrona/mmepidural.htm#medical_risks_epidurals_rates

celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 4:32 PM on Feb. 17, 2009