At what age do you tell your BOYS about sex?

The other question got me thinking. I have 3 boys... oldest is 9 and I don't really know when the talk is appropriate.

My parents never told me at all, I learned at school... seriously.

amazinggrace83

Asked by amazinggrace83 at 1:23 PM on May. 22, 2013 in Parenting Debate

• 12, 13, whenever it seems necessary.
    It is very necessary though
    lullaby572

Answer by lullaby572 at 7:16 AM on Jul. 16, 2013

• 13
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 10:59 PM on Jul. 15, 2013

• My son is almost 17 and I have been talking to him about his body, sex, etc since before Kindergarten. It is never to early to start that talk. Keep it age or developmentally appropriate and EDUCATE them.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:37 PM on Jun. 15, 2013

• I think that when they start asking questions.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 9:56 AM on Jun. 7, 2013

• Age approiate type answers based on their age.
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 12:03 PM on Jun. 3, 2013

• Ours are 6 & 7 and they already know quite a bit about it. Living on a farm they get sex education before you might want them to know.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 2:51 PM on May. 28, 2013

• Just before puberty. Girls are yucky before that bt once that changes toeven neutral it is time for the talk. There is so much on tv that I am sure you can slip in comments as it comes up now. My daughter had the talk at her first period (serious talk_ she was 9.
    And talks any time they ask something
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:06 PM on May. 23, 2013

• I started at five with talks about their own body and when they got olderI started talking about sex and because I started with their body it did not shock them.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 9:33 PM on May. 22, 2013

• I answer his questions when he asks them. We have read books together and he knows he can ask me anything and I will answer him. He hasn't brought it up too often, but my brother's gf is pregnant so he might start asking again. He is 7.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 8:25 PM on May. 22, 2013

• We had a talk when our oldest was seven. I was pregnant and he wanted the facts. I tried to give general ideas, but he was having none of that. I bought the book, "Where Do I Come From?" and let him look at it by himself. After a couple of days I asked him if he would like me to read it to him and he agreed. We started reading it and he was fine about the body parts, but when the part explaining sex came, he was too embarrassed and we skipped it, read the pregnancy part and I answered any questions he had. He has always had that book in his room and has been able to read it when he wants to. Since then if there has been any question, he comes to us and asks.

I think because we were open from the beginning, then he feels comfortable coming to us. Which is great. I do not want my kids to think that sex is dirty or wrong and I want them to be fully informed so they can make the best decisions for themselves.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:31 PM on May. 22, 2013