At what age do you tell your BOYS about sex?

The other question got me thinking. I have 3 boys... oldest is 9 and I don't really know when the talk is appropriate.

My parents never told me at all, I learned at school... seriously.

amazinggrace83

Asked by amazinggrace83 at 1:23 PM on May. 22, 2013 in Parenting Debate

• We never had "the talk" with any of our children. What we did was answer all their questions about everything they asked, including sex, when they asked it. By keeping the lines of communication open, children feel the freedom to discuss their feelings with you. None of our children had pre-marital sex and each of them is happily married.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 1:28 PM on May. 22, 2013

• Well!! Sex talks should be started when the child starts noticing the difference between and male and a female. How babies are made. Then depending on the kids around puberty they need to know about sex, STD, BC.

Answer by louise2 at 1:27 PM on May. 22, 2013

• I talked to mine when I was working in a hospital and saw a 12 year old having a baby, he was also 12.....

Answer by older at 1:44 PM on May. 22, 2013

• Not until my son asked a couple months ago. he is 10.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 1:45 PM on May. 22, 2013

• My mom read a book onto a cassette tape and gave it to me--one of those "growing up and liking your body" books, and other than that, I learned from school and friends. Pretty scary. I don't want it to be that way for my daughter, so I answer her questions as best I can whenever she asks them.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:11 PM on May. 22, 2013

• My had the talk with our oldest last year. He ws 11
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 2:16 PM on May. 22, 2013

• My now 13 yo is 9 years older than his brother, so he asked how babies are made when I was pregnant with his brother. I gave him the very basics. At 10 (5th grade), they did a program in his school so before they did that I went a little more in depth with him. We've had several short talks and I've given him a couple books, which I also read, and he's asked me some questions. I've talked with him about birth control, std's, etc. He knows my expectation is abstinence, but there's nothing wrong with education either. Knowledge is power.

Answer by missanc at 2:47 PM on May. 22, 2013

• We had a talk when our oldest was seven. I was pregnant and he wanted the facts. I tried to give general ideas, but he was having none of that. I bought the book, "Where Do I Come From?" and let him look at it by himself. After a couple of days I asked him if he would like me to read it to him and he agreed. We started reading it and he was fine about the body parts, but when the part explaining sex came, he was too embarrassed and we skipped it, read the pregnancy part and I answered any questions he had. He has always had that book in his room and has been able to read it when he wants to. Since then if there has been any question, he comes to us and asks.

I think because we were open from the beginning, then he feels comfortable coming to us. Which is great. I do not want my kids to think that sex is dirty or wrong and I want them to be fully informed so they can make the best decisions for themselves.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:31 PM on May. 22, 2013

• I answer his questions when he asks them. We have read books together and he knows he can ask me anything and I will answer him. He hasn't brought it up too often, but my brother's gf is pregnant so he might start asking again. He is 7.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 8:25 PM on May. 22, 2013

• I started at five with talks about their own body and when they got olderI started talking about sex and because I started with their body it did not shock them.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 9:33 PM on May. 22, 2013