This is why you should listen to your dog!

I was raised a dog person and, in my house, we learned that, if a dog doesn't like someone then they don't come in the house a second time. Dogs are much more sensitive and better judges of character than humans.

For example: When my daughter was two, I took her to the park to play one day and I brought Maggie, my collie, along. My collie is very intelligent and great with people (especially children) and is protective but she is never aggressive. My little girl was playing with this other little girl her age all day long and they were so cute together. I was talking to her mother and found out that they lived a couple of miles from us so I invited them over for lunch and a play date the next Saturday. Maggie was friendly with the woman and the child so there were no red flags then.

The next Saturday, her husband dropped them off on his way to work but, when he picked them up, she told him to be polite, come in, and introduce himself. As soon as he was at the door, Maggie jumped at him, showing her teeth. She snapped at his feet, growled and barked, refusing to let him in the house. I grabbed her by the collar and let him in and, as soon as I let go of her collar, she ran straight for the children, refusing to let him near them. She wouldn't even let him near his own child. I apologized for her behavior and assured him that she was normally very friendly but it sent up huge red flags for me. Later, when the mother invited Alice for a slumber part, I wouldn't let her go. I told her flat out that I wasn't comfortable with my child around her husband because of the way my dog acted. She said she understood and we hung out at my house and the park and took the girls places together. After I had known her for about three months, her husband put both her and the child in the hospital. He had been abusing her since before the child was born but had never touched the child. He started beating on the child for something and the mother jumped him and got beaten up very badly. She left him and moved to Florida with her mother so I don't see her anymore but I hear from her from time to time. I am glad I listened to my dog and didn't let her stay over there. Who knows what could have happened and what my child could have seen?

Another example, and this is why I point this out because this is very recent. A friend of mine's sister decided to fix her up with her husband's brother. When the man came to the house, her weimaraner, who is normally very friendly, tried to bite him and wouldn't let him in the house. She apologized but declined the date. Her sister was angry with her about it and said that she was stupid for judging him based on the opinion of her dog. About a month later, she got a sobbing call from her sister. She found out that her husband's brother was in jail for raping a woman that he started dating after their failed meeting. It devastated her that she was angry with her sister for not going out with him. If my friend had chosen to go out with this man, he would have done the same to her.

I have other dogs but Maggie is the one that I trust the most. My husband and I tease about our dogs because my dogs loved him and his dog loved me the first time we met. I understand that abused dogs may fear anyone or behave aggressively towards any stranger but if a dog that is normally so friendly behaves strangely then listen. It's a dog's instinct to protect their family and they are more sensitive then we are about things. Listening to your dog can save your life.

Razzle_Dazzle1

Asked by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 3:38 PM on May. 22, 2013 in Pets

• That was a good read, thanks.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:42 PM on May. 22, 2013

•  Love me, love my dogs!  That's my motto.  :)  Great stories (sad but great).  Dogs do have an intuition & are great companions too :)

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 3:56 PM on May. 22, 2013

• I guess I'm in the clear. Dogs love me so much that they turn into puddles on the ground.
    Those were some smart poochies

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:53 PM on May. 22, 2013

• don't forget cats! They are a good judge too! I have a puppy right now
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 5:13 PM on May. 22, 2013

• For the most part I agree and we should listen to our instincts and tell out children to listen to theirs.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 6:12 PM on May. 22, 2013

• Thank you for posting such a well written and interesting read. I do agree with you.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 8:18 PM on May. 22, 2013

• I should Have listened to my cat as well as a dog we adopted when it came to my now ex-husband. My cat Never liked him even when we dated as teens and that feeling never changed. Then we adopted a dog that could not stand my husband.

I am fostering a dog right now though that I do not trust her instincts at all. She does not like one of my neighbors at all but likes my ex-husband.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 8:39 PM on May. 22, 2013

• Yes, cats are good judges too but they are so finicky that they can't be trusted 100%. One of my cats loves to tease my husband, just because she's a troll. Horses have good insticnts about people too. My horses love my hubby too (even though he's afraid to ride).
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Comment by Razzle_Dazzle1 (original poster) at 9:12 PM on May. 22, 2013

• I disagree, Dusty had excellent instincts and there was nothing finicky about him. honestly, all of my cats have had good instincts about people and none of them have been finicky. I am sure that some can be and this goes for dogs to but I have yet to own a cat like that.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:14 AM on May. 23, 2013

• Well, cats are good judges. I'm not bashing cats or anything. I love my cats. I'm just saying, cats pick reasons they don't like people. They are sensitive but they also pick other reasons for not liking people. Generally if a dog doesn't like a person, it's because they are untrustworthy. A cat can just not like someone for no reason.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Comment by Razzle_Dazzle1 (original poster) at 5:34 PM on May. 23, 2013