Is it tit for tat? (s/o of the food stamp question)

Is one only capable of following scriptural teaching if one's religion is made into law? Why is it not possible to feed the poor or be accepting of one's neighbor unless it is also required by law for everyone to follow the rules of Christianity?

I'm trying to understand the logic of "why should we feed the poor when you won't let us force your kids to pray in school"

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 3:51 PM on May. 22, 2013 in Religious Debate

• Because they're not ACTUALLY serious about following Jesus. ;)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 3:56 PM on May. 22, 2013

• i dont even understand how prayer in school has anything to do with feeding the poor. wtf is wrong with people? must you cram your god down everyone's throats everywhere, all the time? how very christ-like.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:07 PM on May. 22, 2013

• Oh that's an outrageous thing you just typed out on the internet.

*Mind blowing*
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:13 PM on May. 22, 2013

• Care to elaborate, staciandbaby?
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:25 PM on May. 22, 2013

• Not feeding the poor because people can't pray in school?

I don't see a connection there AT ALL.

It's a mind blowing sentence.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:32 PM on May. 22, 2013

• Haha, okay, I couldn't tell if it was perhaps a comment here that you were responding to or what ;)

Thanks for the clarification. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:34 PM on May. 22, 2013

• I don't see a connection there AT ALL.

It's a major plank of the republican party, just not phrased exactly in those words.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 4:40 PM on May. 22, 2013

• I'm a Republican... I will feed the poor and be happy to do so regardless of the prayer in school issue.
    amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 5:32 PM on May. 22, 2013

• Imo, using Jesus and the Bible when talking about feeding the poor is basically just saying that even the Bible says we should help those less fortunate. In other words, all of us, no matter what our beliefs, should do what we can to look out for those who don't have as much as we do. Arguing that we can't pray or teach Christianity in schools therefore we shouldn't feed the poor is just stupid. As my grandma would say, those people are so dumb their ears rub.

Anyway... it just goes back to what I always say about many Christians being very surprised about where they actually end up when the die. Many Christians are not very Christ-like at all.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 7:52 PM on May. 22, 2013

• Not what was said.
    I said you can not say that the Bible has no place in government (I agree) or in anything connected to the government and then use the Bible to support some program you want in the very government it was said not to belong.
    It either belongs in government or it does not. It can not be both ways.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:44 AM on May. 23, 2013