Prayer and tragedies

discussing this from a different angle than in the question it was already posted in.

first, it really bugs me that she had to say "and then i did something teachers arent' suppose to do"- as if to make herself look like a good Christian. she just survived a tornado and her first thoughts are this? *EDIT*- nobody cares what you do when an E4 tornado is coming for you. so why go there? 

second- the praying aspect. she admitted she was praying, and its likely she wasn't the only one. she was obviously quite proud of herself for praying also, as proven in her statements above. yet the school was still flattened. children & other innocents still died (and atheists survived to boot, as seen in a wolf blitzer interview) did she not pray hard enough? should she have prayed better? do you believe god controls the weather (or has control over it) and is responsible for the tornado & all of it's destruction, or is he only responsible for the lives spared? how can people with an honest conscience thank god for those who weren't killed by it without backhandedly insulting those who were 'chosen' to die? 

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 3:58 PM on May. 22, 2013 in Religious Debate

• My problem is that she is clearly using this tragedy to push the prayer in school agenda. She could've easily, just simply said : "And, then I prayed". Or even "And, then I prayed out loud". But, no..she used the media attention she was receiving, to say: And, then I did something teachers aren't supposed to do. I prayed, I prayed out loud".  And, with that...she used a tragedy as a platform for an agenda.  Wrong, just so wrong!  And, if people can't see that, then they really need to examine themselves and their own motives & beliefs. 

3libras

Answer by 3libras at 5:04 PM on May. 22, 2013

• What bugs me the most about this stupid pic is that it is always followed by, this is why we need to put prayer back in school. Prayer isn't banned in school, there is no need to 'put it back". It sounds like they are saying apparently God got pissy cause he wasn't getting enough attention and sent a tornado so people would pray to him.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 6:45 PM on May. 22, 2013

• I don't believe God has His hand in things like this - I take a much more Deistic approach to faith. I can understand, though, praying in a tragedy for strength or courage - reaching out in panic to the One we believe is there for us - but I don't like the people who are all "look at me" about it, especially when so many did die. It's like the people who thank God because their dog was saved, as though that dog means more than those who weren't "saved." I can understand the relief of making it through such a tragedy, but don't be disrespectful to those who didn't...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:09 PM on May. 22, 2013

• nobody is discussing THAT she prayed. its what she said after the fact. read, people.

points > reading
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:29 PM on May. 22, 2013

• how can people with an honest conscience thank god for those who weren't killed by it without backhandedly insulting those who were 'chosen' to die?

That's the point.  They can't.

witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 4:34 PM on May. 22, 2013

• And the reasons behind it won't be known to us until it's our time.

Which brings us right back to this

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:42 PM on May. 22, 2013

• This section should be renamed to something like those who dislike religion or believers.

Because "religion" and "believer" are synonyms for Christian on your planet - you might want to invest in a dictionary.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:50 PM on May. 22, 2013

• I don't give thought to anything anyone says in these times.

The issue here isn't want she said during "these times", it's her political spin in bragging about it after the fact.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:10 PM on May. 22, 2013

• she was trying to comprehend the horrificness of the tornado.

Have you actually watched the interview, and that little gleam in her eye when she says it?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:17 PM on May. 22, 2013

• "You're basically telling people that if they thanked their God that they didn't die then they're assholes because they're also thankful for other people dying. "

Well shouldn't we be aware that that's the way we could come across? What about the families of those who DID die - wouldn't it be offensive and insulting to them to praise God for being saved yourself when their family died? As though God didn't care as much about their family as yours?
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 6:56 PM on May. 22, 2013