Cleaning

my children won`t clean!!!!!!!!!! any websites,tips, or soultions

ravenclaw78

Asked by ravenclaw78 at 5:12 PM on May. 22, 2013 in General Parenting

• How old are they and what sort of things do you expect them to do?
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:12 PM on May. 22, 2013

• If they are old enough to be helping, post a rules of the house and make it clear that nothing fun is done, and no privileges, without the rules being followed.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 5:17 PM on May. 22, 2013

• one is 8 and the other is 15!!!!! the 15 yr. old im mad at the most cause she is 15!!!!!!!!!
    ravenclaw78

Comment by ravenclaw78 (original poster) at 5:45 PM on May. 22, 2013

• When I was a kid, if we didn't do our chores we didn't get to do other things we liked. Like our favorite tv shows, we couldn't watch them if we hadn't done our chores for the day, we couldn't watch the movie on family movie night if we hadn't done our chores, etc On chores my sisters and I took turns on, if we didn't do it (or didn't do it right) we would have to do it when it was the others turn, say one Monday I had to dust and on Friday my sister did, if I didn't do it Monday I would have to do it Friday and then again Monday. Things like that. It worked for us.

CarpeDiemV

Answer by CarpeDiemV at 5:57 PM on May. 22, 2013

• I wonder how we parented before the internet.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 6:23 PM on May. 22, 2013

• What are they expected to clean? My son is 10 and will try to tidy up his space, but I do not expect him to be the one cleaning the house.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 6:34 PM on May. 22, 2013

• We have helper of the day at our house. My boys are 11, 9, 7, 4, and 19 months. The oldest 3 take turns being the helper, which means they have to set the table at dinner, fix drinks, load/unload the dishwasher, clean the table and vacuum the floor. I cook and put away the clean dishes and supervise. The oldest three put away their own clean socks, pjs, and underwear. The younger two help pick up toys. I'm working on some lists. They have a kitchen list and a bathroom list. The bathroom list is just a reminder to pick up after themselves. Cleaning their own room is another story though. It's a struggle because they don't like to put things away or organize. Just keep your expectations age-appropriate and stick to your expectations.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 10:09 PM on May. 22, 2013

• Flylady has things on getting kids to help - http://www.flylady.net/

Good luck!

winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 3:23 AM on May. 23, 2013

• My daughter is five and my stepson is seventeen. I find that with them, having them clean a little at a time works better than leaving it all for one day. Pick one room for a Saturday, and then break the job down into small steps so it won't seem overwhelming.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 8:10 PM on May. 23, 2013