There you have it, folks, even do-gooder Atheists are saved

Pope Francis claims that even Atheists who do good are saved

(yeah, yeah, it's the Huff Post but you can google it and pull it up on your preferred news site if you wish)

Pope Francis rocked some religious and atheist minds today when he declared that everyone was redeemed through Jesus, including atheists

thoughts, opinions? as a Christian, does the Pope's belief align with yours? can even those who do not believe in God be spared from an eternity of fire & brimstone?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 5:14 PM on May. 22, 2013 in Religious Debate

• Well, considering the fact that I don't actually believe that heaven or hell exists, I could really care less on one level. But, I think it's awesome that so many who do believe, need to now rethink things.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 5:17 PM on May. 22, 2013

• For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast. 10 For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.
    Ephesians 2:8-10

SO... we are saved by faith... not works... so no... I do not agree with the Pope.
    amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 5:18 PM on May. 22, 2013

• I fucking love this pope lol. I do believe in God, but on my own terms, I don't really follow a religion, but then again I don't really know.. We'll just say I'm confused and I have never really put much thought into it before. lol. I don't believe in the bible so I don't even know if I think Jesus is real. If God is real I really don't think he's such a hard ass, and if he is then that sucks and I don't like him lol. That's basically my opinion about religion in general. I believe that as long as you're a good person, you're fine.
    Hollyhock.

Answer by Hollyhock. at 5:59 PM on May. 22, 2013

• It's actually not a new idea, either within Catholicism or in Christianity in general, even if it's not an idea that is held by the majority. As a Christian it does align with my belief in a way - I don't believe in hell, though.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 6:40 PM on May. 22, 2013

• Does the Pope's belief align with yours? Yes, but this isn't knew. It's one of the major differences between Catholic and Protostant beliefs.  That is,  being saved by works or grace alone.   Catholic believe that works matter more, or what we do and how we treat others.   This IIs why Catholics don't refer to "being saved", because its thought to be an on going process of works.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 10:19 PM on May. 22, 2013

• I have no problem with that. Everyone is redeemed whether they realize it or not. Not believing has no bearing. Do I believe that atheists can go to hell too? yes, absolutely just as anyone believers included can choose hell.
    snookyfritz

Answer by snookyfritz at 11:22 PM on May. 22, 2013

• I'm sure a lot of Protestants will be in an uproar.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 7:34 PM on May. 22, 2013

• I guess when I was a Christian I always believed that God would give those who didn't believe in Him one more chance. So if someone didn't believe in God for whatever reasons, then when they died (if there actually was a God) they would come face to face with Him and then they'd have the opportunity to say, "alright, since I'm sitting here chatting with you I suppose it's true what they say about you being real and all." I was raised Catholic, and the Catholics I know pretty much believe the same thing, so I guess it must be consistent with Catholic teachings at least.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 9:51 PM on May. 22, 2013

• That's very interesting, is this something new, or has it always been their belief?

CarpeDiemV

Answer by CarpeDiemV at 5:21 PM on May. 22, 2013

• Who is Jesus?
    pinkparcel

Answer by pinkparcel at 5:28 PM on May. 22, 2013