Watch me momma! at 5 y.o.

What are some healthy ways to respond to "Watch me momma!" for my 5 1/2 y.o.
only child, boy. I play with him every day. He gets a book & cuddle time from either me or my husband every night. He goes to preschool twice a week, no seperation anxiety ever. He'll be going to kindergarten this fall. I've talked to him about not asking me that so much but its all day everyday!

dsharper

Asked by dsharper at 6:42 PM on May. 22, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You deal with it- it's normal.

My kids drove me batty with it!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 6:56 PM on May. 22, 2013

• This is normal behavior. He'll outgrow it
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 6:56 PM on May. 22, 2013

• You respond with "That's great! You're really good at that!" each and every time. Unless of course he's doing something dangerous, like hanging from the refrigerator (not that I know that from experience.........)
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 6:58 PM on May. 22, 2013

• You enjoy it while you can. My 9 yr old still does it, and when I feel bugged, I just remind myself that my 12 yr old doesn't so much anymore. Keeps it in perspective for me.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:51 PM on May. 22, 2013

• its totally normal, is he being stimulated enough with activities that encourage him to do things on his own? Will he be going to school next year? It should get better when he does and he is engaged all the time.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 8:38 PM on May. 22, 2013

• Thank you ladies. Its making me feel guilty though. I'm stuck between -should I be spending more time with him or -should I encourage him to play more by himself? I also feel like he should be able to entertain himself when I'm doing housework or if I'm taking break, but he does not seem to be able to??? Are my expectations too high?
    dsharper

Comment by dsharper (original poster) at 11:11 PM on May. 22, 2013

• Just reflect (verbally) what he's doing, or see him. Saying "Hi, sweetie!" to him in a pleased/responsive tone is a perfectly acceptable response to "Watch me!" or "Look at me, momma!" because he is asking to be seen.

I would recommend you NOT combine your response with an evaluation or praise. Observant feedback is fine but if you respond to his wish to be seen with an evaluation or assessment of him, you shift his focus from "being" to "doing," and you shift his focus to YOUR values/feedback. This creates the "attention hound" or "praise junkie" that many parents end up complaining about.

If that's the dynamic you've already got going, then just recognize it & take steps to support orienting him back to his OWN valuing process/personal assessment by reflecting what you observe, not "evaluating" it. Your response & focus can convey that what you actually care about is his personal experience & his own assessment of it.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 1:51 AM on May. 23, 2013

• Mine does it all day long, too. It can leave you feeling like you never give enough or do enough, but kids are insatiable when it comes to parental attention. Your best is good enough.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:17 PM on May. 23, 2013

• my son exactly.. hey mom, look, loook at this , you have to see this, there is not one moment of independence. but,,he's always been this way,.. we do try to play with him yet let him know mom and dad need mom and dad time too, its frustrating.. beyond frustrating somenights.. especially since it's hey look what spongebob did, LOOK MOM - LOOK.. allllll day
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:26 PM on May. 23, 2013

• Thank u girlwithc I'm going to try that. He IS a praise hound & i almost always tell him "good job", "that's wonderful" etc. Thanks everyone else as well.
    dsharper

Comment by dsharper (original poster) at 10:47 PM on May. 23, 2013