What was your biggest parenting fail?

I can name many, none of us are perfect. Right at this moment, I feel like I am dropping the ball on everything. Not feeding my kids healthy enough, not spending enough quality time with them, the mommy guilt goes on and on and on. Any moms out there feeling like this also?

JackieGirl007

Asked by JackieGirl007 at 9:54 PM on May. 22, 2013 in General Parenting

• I feel like this on a regular basis. I feel like I am always yelling, I am trying to work on it, but right now it seems like my kids NEVER listen. I am trying alternatives to yelling and spanking.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 9:57 PM on May. 22, 2013

• Yup I'm a yeller too but I've developed this thing where I say I've asked you nicely twice and next time I'm going to yell. Or I'll say you hate it when I yell at you so listen when I ask. It works. and also big fail I let my friend change her diaper when she was almost one she changed her on the couch and poor baby fell off good thing there was carpet, I still feel very guilty about that 8 years later and I never told her about it. bad mom I was just so very exhausted that day!
    pinkparcel

Answer by pinkparcel at 10:03 PM on May. 22, 2013

• AF4, when my kids were little I spanked. I regret it. It may have worked, but now I feel bad about it. Not saying anyone else shouldn't to it, to each their own, I'm just saying I don't think it solves problems. With my youngest two, I didn't spank and they turned out much the same. The 2 that didn't get spanked didn't act worse. Just food for thought:) I am a yeller too, I yell all the time even when I'm not mad tho, lol.
    JackieGirl007

Comment by JackieGirl007 (original poster) at 10:11 PM on May. 22, 2013

• I did not know to lower the infant carseat handle when it was in the car with my first.

That still haunts me.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 10:26 PM on May. 22, 2013

• And yet all of your kids will grow up just fine in spite of it, mamas. Take it easy on yourselves. I get on my own case for raising my voice toooften as well. I'm doing my best not to parent like I was parented, and while I'm not perfect, I can say I'm a lot better than the mom I had.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:32 PM on May. 22, 2013

• Not being aware enough. Not recognizing the signs or ignoring them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:23 AM on May. 23, 2013

• I have OCD and I have made my almost five year old daughter neurotic. I got married for the first time last June and I have a biological daughter who is almost 5, a child I adopted before I was married who is 18mo, a stepdaughter who is 7, and I am 8 weeks pregnant. I am a nut about keeping the house clean, beds made, toys picked up, ect. My husband and stepdaughter are still adjusting to mommy's anal retentiveness. They get out of bed in the morning and Alice is like "Please, just make your bed before mommy comes in here!" "Just put the toys away! I don't want to get in trouble!" "Anna! Your panties are on the floor! Mommy's gonna kill you!"
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 5:20 AM on May. 23, 2013

• We all have our days. As long as the love is there, then I think our kids will forgive us our shortcomings. It just proves to them that we are human. They'll really get "it" once they become parents themselves- then they will give us a big apology! lol :p (Or at least a hug & a "thank you" )
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:07 AM on May. 23, 2013

• I buckled my DD in to her highchair to leave the room to get DS another sandwich. I normally did not buckle her at all but since I was leaving the room I did not want her to try to climb out with out me there. She tried to get out and fought the strap and tipped the whole thing over. She fractured her femur. yup. Major fail.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:14 AM on May. 23, 2013

• Feel better? lol. I BROKE my kid! She was 18 months old and I broke her.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:16 AM on May. 23, 2013