Questions about flying with a 1yo & 6yo...

Was wondering mainly about pricing... Do you have to pay full price for each person no matter the age/size? Can a baby ride on a parents lap? What about carseat for 1yo? Booster for 6yo? .....
Please help!
We are trying to decide if we should fly Houston to Chicago or drive 18rs with a risk of needing to stop for a hotel.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:32 PM on May. 22, 2013 in General Parenting

• Contact the carrier you are considering
    They have different rules
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 11:40 PM on May. 22, 2013

• In general, any child under 2 is considered a lap child. The 6 year old would need his own ticket/seat. However, do call the airline because some do have different rules.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:54 PM on May. 22, 2013

• Most of the time you don't have to pay for a child under 2, if you have them in your lap. My understanding is that you don't need carseats or booster seats on the plane, but think about what would work best for you. I took the car seat for my 2 year old because I wanted to be able to strap her in so she wasn't all over the place.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 11:58 PM on May. 22, 2013

• it's a 2 1/2 hour flight. Your 6 year old will most likely not need a booster and you your husband could take turns holding your baby. Like others said, check the airline's website and find out what their rules are for babies.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:05 AM on May. 23, 2013

• If you wish to place a child in a seat, you are charged, if you hold an under 2 on your lap you are not.
    You do not need boosters of baby carriers on the plane but if you chose to use them it will cost you for each seat used. Take to the airline you are wishing to use (or a variety) she what their rules are and their costs. Some airlines charge baggage fees as well a seat fees. You may find driving tedious but worth it even with a motel. Check out motels where you would stay to see what they will charge and offer. You will also have the expense of renting a car once you get there, so take that into consideration.
    With little ones that is my best choice.
    If you do fly be sure you bring something for them to chew or suck on during take off and landing to help with the pressure in the ears. It is a very good idea to bring a variety of small snacks and at least one change of clothes for each child onto the plane itself.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:20 AM on May. 23, 2013

• A booster is a waste of time because airline belts are lap belts and a booster would make no difference. A lot of airlines don't allow them anyway.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 3:16 AM on May. 23, 2013

• Call the airline.

Answer by louise2 at 7:27 AM on May. 23, 2013

• Age 2 and under can sit on a parent's lap.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 10:21 AM on May. 23, 2013

• We bought seats for our 1 1/2 year old and 4 year old when we flew. Despite calling the airline to verify/confirm their policy, they would not let me hold my 1 1/2 year old as a lap child on one leg of the flight and then told me he was too small to be in his own seat (with his car seat) on the second leg of the flight. It was a joke. On another note, take something for their ears (drops, suckers, gum, fruit snacks) to help them when they pop. And be prepared for nasty looks and snide comments from other passangers. One jerk actually said to me "get the tranquilizer gun" as he walked past me to his seat. I considered having him thrown off the plane for saying he had a gun....=).....instead I told him I would be sure to walk back his direction if my son started to cry. Have fun!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 2:34 PM on May. 23, 2013