"M" rated video games and children...

At what age do you think it is alright to start letting children play M games with bad language such as the F word in them.
I myself don't like my 14 year old playing these type of games and find it to be a bad example.
Many children even at 10, 11 year old and maybe younger are. Its hard these days with all the technology. I think parents need to be more aware what their kids are playing or even watching online and set boundaries. What do you think?

amconabc

Asked by amconabc at 8:30 AM on May. 23, 2013 in General Parenting

• I wouldn't allow them at all

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:35 AM on May. 23, 2013

• 17? My husband has 1-2 that he plays on rare occasion, but they stay in our room where my 13 yo doesn't have access to them.

Answer by missanc at 8:56 AM on May. 23, 2013

• I let my son play Halo, which is rated M. Nothing in it bothers me to let my son see or hear. I won't let him play first person shooter games that he has to kill other people, but shooting aliens is fine. I also won't let him play games like Grand Theft Auto which glorify alcohol, drugs, crime and violence.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 9:03 AM on May. 23, 2013

• I agree w/ kmath. But I think unfortunately Halo is one of the few M games that does not have bad language.
    amconabc

Comment by amconabc (original poster) at 9:36 AM on May. 23, 2013

• my hubby's rule: the only shooting games allowed in the house has to do with hunting.
    if your killing a person or anything else than wildlife he will not allow it in to the house. the girls aren't even allowed to make believe they have guns.
    so for your answer, when they move out and get their own system. until then they are stuck playing what we get. that goes for on the computer too.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 9:46 AM on May. 23, 2013

• I'm surprised sometimes at how many parents let their kids watch certain 14 & up shows or rated R movies, or play M games when they are so young. My youngest is in 5th grade & we have younger neighborhood kids who are allowed to do or watch things I won't let my 11 y/o child do yet. To each his/her own I guess, but really, what's the rush? Don't they see enough crap as it is? Why expose them to more, ya know?

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:47 AM on May. 23, 2013

• 17 or18. I'm shocked at what other parents let their kids watch and play.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 10:50 AM on May. 23, 2013

• 18 or when they're not in my house.
    MommyTwice0411

Answer by MommyTwice0411 at 11:19 AM on May. 23, 2013

• Depends on the actual content of the game (or movie or tv show). My parenting choices are based on the maturity and knowledge of my child, not on what might shock and offend some other mother who doesn't know a damn thing about my child.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:18 PM on May. 23, 2013

• Anonymous