Twirling of ankles and wrists?

So my 8 month old for the past 2 months has started twirling his wrists and his ankles when he gets excited or very upset. Its kind of strange. he doesnt do it constantly just when you hold a toy he wants or if he starts crying and gets really upset. Do you think this is normal? I will ask the ped next month at his visit just wondering what you guys thought. He has great eye contact and is VERY engaging with people. Any thoughts?

Asked by Scoobersmom at 4:31 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It just sounds like he has found a way to express himself. I would be more worried if it were constant and not attached to a known event, just random.

Answer by beckcorc at 4:35 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Follw up to my post- forgot to mention he stares at his hands in amazement at times. Is that normal?

Answer by Scoobersmom at 4:39 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• It's absolutely normal!!! Don't worry momma!!! My DD did it too and many of the babies that I have babysat over the years. It's all part of their development!!

Answer by Samanthasmom210 at 4:42 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• hey momma.. dont worry, i agree with the first poster that if he was doing it all the time, and not for a specific reason, then i'd worry. But my son does this when he see's me for the first time at the gym, or a toy that i give him. There is a great baby book called baby411.. i give it to all new moms. Helped us, my bf even read it, and wow, he's much more help than i ever could have imagined.

Answer by sweetscrappin at 5:19 PM on Feb. 17, 2009