Elementary school dismissal at 4 pm

Would this bother you? Do you think your kids would be able to stay awake and alert through the end of the day? No idea yet how they're going to handle extra-curriculars. They're also pushing the start time back to 8:45, so most of the normal first shift working parents are screwed and need to find someone to cover an hour or two of daycare in the morning where they didn't before.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 1:58 PM on May. 23, 2013 in Parenting Debate

• No, it wouldn't bother me. But, I work at home and my kids are still young.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 2:01 PM on May. 23, 2013

• Ours is going to a 8:20-3:37 schedule. Luckily this isn't an issue for me

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:03 PM on May. 23, 2013

• If the start of the day is pushed later, then I'm guessing the kids will be sleeping later. I'm surprised they aren't doing this at the high school level too, since Lord knows they could use the sleep. My child already has to be to school at 8:45- but they get out at 3:15. I'm sure there are some SAHM's who can watch kids in the AM, or possibly the Y program at the school.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 2:03 PM on May. 23, 2013

• My kids elem school dismissed at 3:45, of course school didnt start until 9:15.

Answer by missanc at 2:04 PM on May. 23, 2013

• I'm surprised they aren't doing this at the high school level too, since Lord knows they could use the sleep.

They're doing it to cut bus funding. They already expanded the walk zone (see rant in butterfly's question for that one) several years ago, so they can't milk that for any more money. Now their plan is to eliminate X number of buses by getting all the 7th grade and up to their respective schools and then send the same buses to pick up the elementaries. The old way had some overlap with the start times only staggered about 10 or 15 minutes.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 2:06 PM on May. 23, 2013

• Our regular school strict follows that schedule. Start time of 8:45a and end time of 3:50p. I prefer it over our (charter school) start time of 7:30 for grades k-8. That is just too early in the morning for kids to be out and about.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:06 PM on May. 23, 2013

• There has been talk of starting elementary school at 8 and pushing back Jr. High and High school back to 9 or 9:30. The younger students do better earlier in the morning than older students. My kids school starts at 8:15 and they are out at 3:15 M, Tue, Th and Fri. On Wednesdays they are out at 1:30. My older kids have more trouble getting started in the morning than the little ones.
    Anonymous

• I would love that for my high schoolers, for sure. DS2 is out at 3:40 anyway, so 4pm wouldn't make much of a difference for us. He starts at 8:10, so it's a long day anyway.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 2:09 PM on May. 23, 2013

• My Son gets home at 4 now (elementary school). It's a long day but they adjust. The Schools here have before and after school care (for a fee) for working Parents. The High School & Middle School kids start earlier because they have more extracurricular activities.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:14 PM on May. 23, 2013

• I would have like a later start better. My son has ALWAYS been a bitch to get up early...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 2:17 PM on May. 23, 2013